Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Own a couple smartphones - should i try the n8?

I have an Iphone 4 and xperia x10a running 2.1. I really miss nokia, particularly the call quality and cameras. I had a lot of N95-6 models etc and always loved those models but they got stale.
    I bought a 5800 and hated it. Is the N8 worth giving a shot or am I better off waiting for N9 or something with meego. I twek my android phone when I am bored but to me it is an unpolished iphone.
    Nothing has been more useable than my iphone but I am bored. Thoughts????

It is a beautiful, starry night.

Exactly - Maybe I will get something big like the dell streak. I need to buy something - or maybe just keep dreamin

If you want something to play around with, sure. It's a nice phone and there's a lot to love about it. If you're an iPhone user and your complaint about Android is that it's an unpolished iPhone, I sincerely doubt that anything other than an iPhone will be satisfactory for you. The N8 would be a very unpolished iPhone in terms of its interface and ecosystem.

You can give the n8 a try, I did but I got bored of it already. I'm going to sell mine and go back to android. I could get the iphone4 but don't like their data plans now so I'll just get another android phone to use my unlimited dumbphone data plan on it lol If you're coming from an iphone, I think you'll get bored of the n8 really fast. At least I did anyways. I had a htc legend before that. Only thing I like about the n8 is the super awsome camera and battery life and also the simplicity of nokias. I've always been a nokia fan and have always had nokia phones but sadly I just can't stand the os anymore =(

Go for it if you need good camera with xenon, but don't expect it to be like ip4/x10 when it comes to speed. N8 is slow compared to both of them. Also.. N8 has very limited apps, you will get bored in no time.

I am an iPhone 4 user. A rather heavy user.

But I'm in the same boat you're in. I keep looking at the N8 and E7 and wondering how I'd like them. A long time ago (I kept one of them), I used to have E71-2's as everyday devices and they were great. I liked them better than the Blackberries of their day.

When I first went to the iPhone 3GS, and then the iPhone 4, I found that I had to jailbreak them to get a couple of features I used to enjoy on the Nokia: Advanced Call Management and Joikuspot. With the iPhone, you have to crack them and then buy MyWi 4.0 and either MCleaner or iBlacklist to get the same things.

But on the other hand...the Retina Display has no equal, and the App Store has no equal. If you're into jailbreaking and want to add Cydia on top of that, there's no equal. Nothing like it.

Look at the photos that have been taken with both the N8 and the iPhone 4. Although the N8 has better specifications, are the pictures and videos really any better? You can find a lot of reviews of the N8 vs iPhone 4 on Youtube from the usual, very reputable reviewers. You get the feeling after listening to these reviews and comparisons, even though some of them don't say it outright, that even after spending five minutes saying how good the N8 has turned out, they're going right back to their iPhones as their everyday devices.

And if you're accustomed to the marvellous integration of MobileMe with the iPhone 4, you're going to be disappointed in the N8. Apparently the current firmware doesn't push correctly at all, and even if your phone isn't mission critical, you get spoiled having your calendars, contacts and mail automatically and seamlessly update the way they do on the iPhone 4. Even free Exchange servers like Google's integrate well and push perfectly with the iPhone 4.

But...I have to admit...after giving you all these negatives, I'm right there with you, looking at the N8 and E7 as possible toys. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I know the iPhone 4 is better. But there's just something so very neat and perhaps rebellious about buying a Nokia. They're obviously behind the times with multi-touch (but certainly as good as the 1.2 GHz best Android device), processors, memory utilisation and many other things. But there's still something just quite neat about them.

If the N8 had already dropped to $400, I'd probably already have one. Since they've stayed up around $450 at the usual discount houses, I am waiting. But I do not know if I am waiting for the price of the N8 to drop, as much as I am waiting for the E7 to hit the States with AT&T frequencies.

:-)

Bottom line: the iPhone 4 is just better. But if you get an N8, you'll find a lot of support, understanding and sympathy!

I would wait for the PR2.0. Otherwise you'll just be frustrated most likely, even with your previous Nokia experience.

I am for sure waiting for the Meego devices (love my N900 but it clearly is lacking in some areas).

I had a N8 for 3weeks on review along side my X10i, after i finished going over web related content i took my main sim and put it back in my X10. The N8 has good hardware, but my word the software realy leaves much to be desired, for me atleast. My advice would be to try it, you may just love the hardware and keep it for that.

are you loyal? do you champion the underdog? do you like to make the best of not so great situations? are you a tweaker? can you accept the flaws in things that you buy and smile? do you have extra $$ to play around with? if so then you are a candidate for the N8.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information