Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Already a WP7 Concept Render

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/e...cept-revealed/

Nokia's future? Producing the Samsung Focus, I guess. Just another slab.

If they can put a decent camera in there and if MS can fill all the feature gaps in WP7 it might be worth looking at, but it looks like at least for now they're working hard on treading a path already unsuccessfully taken by other manufacturers.

I love the comments on Engadget. Suddenly Nokia is worth considering now that the OS and ecosystem are 2 years behind the competition instead of just one. Can't deny it - people love shiny things.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, there is guy there with the same name as mine, saying the windows key in the middle makes him want to vomit..

I've not nothing against WP7 specifically. If it could be a USB device, if it could play media without transcoding, if it could send files via Bluetooth, if it supported removable storage, if they improved the IE browser on it, if it had navigation and if it supported multitasking, I'd be just fine with it. But those are a lot of ifs.

I fully expect this render to be representative of Nokia's first efforts: generic. I'm sure it will do as well as similar, existing products too: not very. About all they can do is put a camera on it, but then again so can anyone else.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nobody else can put as good a camera on as Nokia.

I realize its just concept image, but I admit those slabs look damn good to me. I was actually impressed and got just a tiny bit of wow looking at them.

I don't know where I stand on this whole change to windows. I liked the bold move, but windows will take years to acquire the feature set of symbian

God those slabs would be superb with Meego on them!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Microsoft is moving pretty fast, they'll get those features in pretty quickly, and at least we know they won't be taking important features out. With the SIP stack gone there really was no reason for me to buy a new Symbian phone for its software.

SIP calls I believe work just fine on the n8. They removed the stack?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, thats just ridiculous.

They're 2 years behind now, and they're going to be another two years behind by the time they get a product out. At best, they'll be behind 3 years.

Do they think iOS, Android, and WebOS will standstill while they try to catch up?

And the existing platforms are getting screwed hard, despite their spin, so the existing platforms will get less R&D and overall less resources... What a short-sighted, bone-headed move.

Intel was your gateway to the NA market and Nokia just spat in their face.

The interface is still there for it on my 5230, which is 9.4 up from 9.1 on my N95 8GB, but I'm unable to actually make anything work. Maybe they put it back in for the N8, but it's pretty damn frustrating having a newer version of the OS that actually has less features, particularly when that's a feature I rely on. At least with Windows Phone 7 I'll know that anything I've come to rely on will stay in future upgrades, rather than being added and removed haphazardly at Nokia's whim.

Nokia doesn't make the components of its cameras. Lens from Carl Zeiss, which recently joined the Panasonic group along with Schneider. Sensors are Japanese.

Anybody can do it. The question is the cost. In order to meet a cost budget, you prioritize one department at the cost of others. Nokia has been pushing cameras while sacrificing basic electronics like CPU, memory and so on. HTC, Apple, Samsung took the opposite path, and look at the results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information