Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

History: Fact or fiction; Titanic...?

I am currently writing a paper in history class; "How reliable is film as a source of historical events?" in relation to the story of the Titanic. We have been shown two versions, "A Night to Remember" and "Titanic (1997)".

Some fellow students have chosen to 'partially agree' and in essence, will be comparing and contrasting the two films, but there is the big chance that in doing so, one may contradict oneself... so, I have chosen to disagree with the statement, that is, say that film is NOT a source of historical events. I wish to argue this whilst using the 1997 version of the sinking as a reference for examples (as this version is less accurate).

I need some facts and myths relating to the Titanic, its sinking, the events of the night and so forth. Care to help?

I apologise if this is confusing. Just say if you need some clarification. All answers will be greatly appreciated, and I thank-you in advance.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Titanic was an ocean liner holding over 2000 people. Writing films about what went on between those people is like writing about people in a town, some truth, some lies. Researching history about an event by consulting a film loosely based on that event is like a dog chasing its own tail and just as amusing. There are plenty of serious data on the Titanic, all you need is Google.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The movie Titanic was wrong on some things like, the character Rose was really named Ruth and she was not 1st class she was 2nd class. she did not have a love thing going on with Jack. He was a 1st class passenger who cut the line of the rescue raft ruth was on because it got stuck and another raft was coming down on it. I got my info from a middle school text book back in the day but I can't remember what it was called. you could probably find it or something else if you looked for facts on the internet.

Gordan K
    the titanic actually sank before it finished constructiuon, it was not the ice berg but poor construction

maiden voyage, hit iceberg , sank, not enough life boats, about 2/3 rds died

big hole in hull myth

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information