Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    SedativeChunk

How to install and use ASP.net on your Vista PC?

I want to learn to code in ASP.net, so I attempted to set up my PC and install the necessary stuff to use Vista on my PC.

I download and installed everything on the "web platform installer" from the official website here:
    http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/

Now what do I do? Can I start coding or what? It installed Visual Web Developer, and there are no options to create or test ASP.net pages. I followed another tutorial previously to go onto my "Windows Features" on my control panel and enabled ASP.net and the IIS settings and such, but I have no clue what I changed on my computers settings to really allow me to code in ASP.net.
    Can I start making pages now or what, and I can I test pages in Internet Explorer? Someone who knows ASP.net please guide me through the process of being able to code and test ASP.net pages on my PC.

dsarf f
    You don't need the IIS to code, it is only for hosting your asp.net website. To start coding in asp.net, you just open it (if you can't find it just search for visual web developer in your vista PC>click on start and then search), click on file, new website..., choose the language (c# or vb), for location choose file system, choose where you want to store the website by clicking on browse, then just click ok. now you can start coding. To see your work in browsers, just click on that green triangle in the top of the screen and it will open, if you want to see it in a different browser, go to the solution explorer, on the right side of the screen, right click the name of your project (the first one on the list), and click on "browse with...", choose what you want to do, and then click on browse. If you are a beginner, these are very good tutorials:
    http://www.asp.net/get-started/
    or
    buy a book, I recommend: Beginning asp.net 2.0 in c# 2005 but that is 2005 but it is almost like 2008.
    Thank you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information