Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Music Banter Hall of Fame: Induction Thread 2

Radiohead - No. From what I've heard (which is two studio albums and their best of) I'm not impressed, and I consider them overrated. They have their qualities, but not enough to justify them going to the Hall of Fame.

The Kinks - Yes. Possibly the best band in history.

The Beach Boys - Yes. A small yes, simply for the role they played in my early teens.

Public Enemy - I haven't listened enough to form an opinion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amazing. I don't understand how the Kinks can be so loved and the Beach Boys so hated...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radiohead
    Yes, because Jonny Greenwood is a sexy beast.

The Kinks
    Yes, great songwriting to fit great songs.

Not voting on the last two.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

FOR CHRIST SAKES READ THIS FIRST

Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Induction thread

So here's the second induction thread, if ya don't know what to do read below.

The nominees are:

Radiohead
    Music Banter's band of choice.... or are they?

The Kinks
    One of the most popular choices yet in the nomination round, will they slip up now?

The Beach Boys
    Do they give you good vibrations? (i don't know )

Public Enemy
    Will they be the first hip-hop act into the hall of fame?

How this works

If you have over 100 posts under your name then you can vote, feel free to voice your opinions if you have less posts though.
    There won't be a poll, votes will be made publically by posting in this thread. You can vote for yes or no as many times as you want, as long as there's an explanation for your vote.
    So a post here would look like....

Radiohead: Yes, because....
    The Kinks: No, because....
    The Beach Boys: Yes, because...
    etc.

The artists that get 2/3rd Yes votes for them get in, easy as that. Those who don't get in can still be nominated at a later date.

This'll be open for a week and a half, since people seem to be confused remeraber you are voting what YOU think should be in the Hall Of Fame, not what you think others would want or whatever.

Get voting peeps!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

RADIOHEAD - YES
    Although I don't care for anything after Amnesiac (seriously, none of it even remotely approaches their earlier work) The BenRAB, OK Computer, and Kid A are all great albums, and the 180 degree stylistic change on all of them is one of the trademarks of a great band.

THE KINKS - YES
    Although I only own "Village Green", it's a fantastic album, the only bad song on it being that one about trains. The great thing about it is that it's one of those albums that the first time you're listening to it and realize how great each song is, you begin to look forward to what sort of amazing melodies they're going to put in the next verse and chorus, and each song delivers. And beyond that, the lyrics are goofy yet very clever and well written, which is how every song should be written.

THE BEACH BOYS - YES

I honestly can't believe people are neglecting everything they did besides Pet SounRAB. Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys are responsible for:
    -The first band to corabine instrumental surf rock with a cappella vocals like that crappy Four Freshmen band, thusly responsible for Jan & Dean, and a bunch of arguably awful early 60's banRAB that I really enjoy.
    -One of the first rock banRAB to experiment with very complex musical arrangements, even before Pet SounRAB. Frank Zappa was saying once how important 'Little Deuce Coupe' was because it used some unexpected chord. I don't know the music theory lingo very well, so I can't explain well. But I assure you it was groundbreaking.
    -The first band to demand and win complete creative control, with Brian Wilson producing the albums instead of someone hired by the record company.
    And lest we forget "Smile"? I hear echoes of "Smile" more in modern music than I do "Sgt. Peppers", and even "Pet SounRAB". Just because It wasnt properly released doesn't mean it didn't have an impact. Take the Olivia Tremor Control's "Black Foliage" album. Impossible without the innovation of "Smile".

PUBLIC ENEMY - N/A

Whenever I vote on these, it makes me feel guilty about not appreciating rap. omeday, hopefully.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radiohead
    Yes. They've made relevant, great music for a decade and a half, showing great versatility in sound while still remaining extremely high quality.

The Kinks
    Yes. They created some of the best albums of the 1960s and their influence has been enormous.

The Beach Boys
    Yes. Both their early surf pop career and their later sophisticated pop career were extremely influential. They not only influenced the melodic sound of countless banRAB (the root of the extremely common "sunny harmonies" in pop music), they also influenced the production side of pop music from then on, leading to much more complex, layered approaches.

Public Enemy
    Yes. One of the most influential hip-hop groups, they were perhaps the biggest influence in socially aware rap, as rap went from merely a party music form to a conduit to express the experiences of people in difficult situations that many middle-class listeners had no real exposure to.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Public Enemy not getting in is fucking stupid.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Beach Boys - No. Whatever Brian Wilson's innovation and their skill with harmonies, the music doesn't engage me enough to put them through.

Public Enemy - Yes. Arguably the most important rap group ever, Wu-tang gives them a run for their money, but their longevity and stronger discography win out.

I wont vote on the other two because I'm pretty unfamiliar with their stuff.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, PE not getting in...Wow...If they don't make it I can't imagine any other Hip Hop artists getting inducted or even put up for induction.

Can we keep this civil please and no name calling either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information