Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

motorola droid autostart fixing test thread

The Motorola Droid solution requires the use of u2nl and some iptables rules which are run by an app called autostart. The problem is that after it runs the script, it sits around consuming the battery.

This thread is for people who want to test out some alternate autostart.sh scripts that attempt to kill the autostart app for you and save battery life.

If you want to experiment, just download the autostart.zip file off my web site http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/ and give some of the test scripts a try. If any of them work for you please let me know in this thread. I will keep adding more scripts for people to try so go ahead and download it again later if you want to try more.

These scripts are only for the Motorola Droid on Cricket. If we find one that works, the solution will be copied to the scripts for other phones and carriers.

If you try a script and about a minute after booting you still see the autostart app running in a task killer, you can either try another script out or just replace the bad autostart.sh script with the one you were using before, which is in the u2nl.zip on my site.

Thanks to anyone who helps. I don't use cricket/u2nl/autostart or root apps, otherwise I would test it out myself.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tested number 6 and it works great! I rebooted the phone twice got off and on of wifi and checked ps in between all of those and autostart was not there any of those times. Thanks! This rules! If you need any more info or testing help let me know.

Btw I was playing around with this, this morning and thought about just having the last line be "kill 0" to kill the child and parent process. Let me tell you that sent my phone into a boot loop that would cycle all the way to the end of autostart and then just shut the whole phone down. Bad idea on my part.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! Did you test 5? It is the same thing, but just uses kill. 6 uses kill -9. I would prefer to not use -9 unless we need it.

I've never heard of using "kill 0" as a way of killing the parent. I have always used "kill $$" for that. It looks like killing the parent isn't an option though, which is why I made my kill line in 5 and 6 actually be a mini shell script of its own that runs in the background, letting autostart.sh exit on its own, then kills the autostart android app.

Can anyone else confirm that 6 works for you? Anyone else want to try 5?

I'm glad it is working already. I was expecting it to take longer than this and didn't want to get the other thread overrun with this stuff.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just tested 5 the same way and it works as well. It does however take a few extra seconds for it to kill autostart. I had to run PS twice for it not to show up. In case anyone else tests this I was waiting for the 3G icon to show up and then waiting another second before I went into term emu. Then I would run PS and it would be in there I would run PS again and it was gone. Do you need me to test anything else? Let me know if I can help with anything and thanks again especially when none of this applies to you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I think I will go with script 5 then. I'll update my u2nl.zip right now. I don't see what it could hurt even if it doesn't work for people. If for some reason it does end up having a problem, I can change it later.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

@white Will this u2nl work on the Eris as well? Thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It should. I made this change to all of the autostart.sh files in my u2nl.zip. If you test it out, please let me know if it worked for you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

yep it sure does, its what your using from the zip i created, im creating a new zip now with these changes.

@whiterabbit, i have flashed this to my phone and been running all day, as well as fixed up my permissions and whatnot from my update.zip file to flash from recovery and its working great.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i dont c the autostart.zip file w the scripts and also.. I downloaded the new u2nl.zip file w the new autostart file, the new one for metro pcs doesn't work.. i had to go back to my old script.. here it is since not even ur old one worked for me. my current working Metro PCS autostart.sh file:

#!/system/bin/sh
    /system/bin/iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    /system/bin/iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    /system/bin/iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    /system/bin/iptables -F
    /system/bin/iptables -t nat -F
    /system/bin/iptables -X
    /system/bin/iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -o ppp0 -p 6 ! -d 10.223.2.4 -j REDIRECT --to-port 1025
    /system/bin/u2nl 10.223.2.4 3128 127.0.0.1 1025 >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    exit 0

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh!!! I tried to manually input the new commands but i got this error:

FIX ME! implement getprotobyname() bionic/libc/bionic/stubs.c:378tables v1.3.7: Port `' not valid

try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

i forgot witch 2 command was it that got this error...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information