Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roki

What would Abraham Lincoln be thinking right now?

If Abraham Lincoln was somehow alive right now what would he think about the U.S.A. electing Barack Obama as president?

ram456456
    The South will be finally punished

Kitty Kat
    I think he would be shocked. Compared to the norm today, Abraham Lincoln would be considered racist - even if he was radically liberal during his time period. There are quotes where he hints that the African American population would never intermingle. A half white half black president would have been a culture shock!

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races--that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which will ever forbid the two races living together in terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior. I am as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

...notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence--the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas that he is not my equal in many respects, certainly not in color--perhaps not in intellectual and moral endowments; but in the right to eat bread without leave of anybody else which his own hand earns [the Republican version of what the other rights amount to?], he is my equal and the equal of Judge Douglas and the equal of every other man.

(v. 3, pp. 247-8. Sixth Debate with Steven A. Douglas at Quincy, Ill., Oct. 13, 1858)"

He may have been pandering to the norms of that time period - but I doubt it. None the less, he was very liberal and obviously liberating.

rockominal2000
    He would be almost as appalled at the U.S. for having Nancy Palosi as Speaker of the House.

f8thfulreplica
    Oh give me a poem
    where my visions can roam
    a place for the soul to display

where loved ones cry
    and Presidents lie
    our children
    so soon blown away.

Home, Home is insane
    The choices are never explained
    Our children must fight
    to prove we are right

But who am I to complain?

Natasha B
    He would be thinking he should have got black people out sooner...
    I am not being funny or racist
    He did not want us here...

some dude
    Truthfully, Abraham Lincoln, is quoted as having some disparaging remarks about blacks. Sorry to say that is historical not some made up fantasy.

Kiss My REP A&& Follower
    He'd be the only happy Republican.

gottanew1
    "Dam, I realy scwered this up"
    .........................................A. Lincoln

wdx2bb
    I'd like to think he'd have an astonished smile on his face.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information