Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtl99

Can we hook up BEV receiver at the campsite/cottage?

hi i'm new to the sat thing anyway here's my?
    my grandad bought the bell expressvu 3100 with 4 receivers and he wants to bring one to the camp so what does he need to do buy just a dish? and can he use the same receive he has in the city to bring up to the camp? or does he have to buy a new system? thanks for the help mtl99.

IronWilliamCash

Bell's response would be to start another account and pay in double. But in fact you could get another dish and plug that reciever at the camp. Bell will not sell you a second dish though. You can try and get one off ebay or someone you know. If not, the way to get one from bell is telling them yours is broken ( a tree fell on it always makes a good excuse ). In a special case like this they will sell you another for 99$ and you'll probably need an lnb also so tell them the tree broke that too and they go for about 90$ I believe. After that jsut hook everything up at the camp and never tell bell they are not in only one location.

ltldevl

Honestly, isn't that brutal that you need to do that? I mean if you are the only owner of both locations...like a cottage for example why the hell can't you. I can totally understand if you are using the same receivers at someone else's house but splitting the bill.

IronWilliamCash

Actually you used to be able to do this legaly, but it's a crtc law that now says you cant have 2 locations active at the same time in an account, even if both are your place, so bell applies this and wont sell you a seconde dish to prevent fraud.

Battscrew

are you talking about a cottage or a trailer/motorhome?

If it is a trailer you cannot attach the cable to the cable input on the exterior of the trailer - thats because in all likely hood that cable gets split where it connects to the amplified tv antenna on the roof - you will either need to run a separate line (i did) or bypass the antenna - if motorhome some have a separate connection for a Sat feed.

I_Want_My_HDTV

Just buy a second dish and LNB from a dealer or off eBay. Going price is about $120 from a dealer, less from Ebay. A 20" upgrade for a 18" will work as well if you want to buy from EV and have an 18" dish.

Just make sure that the receiver is not plugged into the phone line at the cottage. You will also need to take the receiver home and plug it into the "home" phone line every few months in order to avoid account verification calls. Switching receivers between home and cottage occasionally would work.

BTW, the CRTC does not care about people with receivers at home and the cottage. EV does not officially allow this but *C does. The broadcasters have complained that it causes lost revenue and cable companies have complained about unfair competition (since they do not do this.) It is really up to the BDU and the broadcasters to reach an agreement on what is allowed. It looks like the broadcasters overlooked this possibility originally and now want to force BDUs to reverse their policies on the issue. EV agreed but *C did not. Think of it like a software agreement. Some companies allow you to install software (receivers to view programming) on more than one computer (residence) as long as it is for personal use (your personal residence.) Others do not. It's strictly a matter of agreement between the software supplier (broadcaster, BDU) and the consumer.

ltldevl

To me, I think that the Satellite companies lobbied for this so that they have a way to gain more money. Don't you think? Why would the crtc just all of a sudden come up with this one.

barter

I believe there is still a Dish 500 (20")dish for sale in the DHC for sale fourm, if not you can easily get one new for the same price.

Having receiver's from the same account in two seperate locations violates Expressvu CSA, but it is not illegal. If they ever found out they would probley deactivate your programing or close out your account, but the chance of them finding out is slim, especially if you bring the receiver home and let it dial out.

ltldevl

When the time comes when I can afford a cottage...I'm sure I will grab a dish from Kusat or something to install it at the cottage and buy a receiver for it as well. I think you would be nuts to pay for two locations when you're the only owner. The CRTC should reverse that rule.

barter

It is stupid, but that Bell's rules.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information