Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

s and s 124 kit good or bad?

Pre 2006 Revtech, Ultima, S&S, Jims etc etc all made crate engines for brand new Harleys. You could ride out of the dealership and into your Ultima dealer and bolt in a crate engine. Most of the time these engines were bought by riders who didnt want the overpriced underengineered SE crap swinging around between their knees. they werent SE customers and never would be. I dont know how it worked patent wise but it had been a part of the Harley scene for 50 years.

Anyhow, HD saw fit to try to make even more money by doing a deal with Jims (which Jims probably have paid them for) and going after the crate engine makers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nah, during the development of the Evo HD used S&S's engineering experience to optimise the engine design and solve a number of problems they were having. From memory it was around cooling and valve geometry.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sooo - again anything that backs that up? It sounds possible but this is the first time I've heard it. Presumably there must have been some sort of contract work outsourced by the MoCo. That wouldn't exactly give S&S Cycles free license to copy everything that H-D did though would it? The way I see it S&S enabled a whole bunch of aftermarket Evo based knock-offs to be built with the MoCo getting nothing. I can't see how that was good for Harley - although it may have been good for the consumer in that it may have pushed H-D a bit.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got nothing to back that up dave, and I never said I did. All i got is the word of my spannerman who has been building and installing S&S motors since '73. I tend to beleive him because is a big fugger and doesnt talk a lot of sheet, which is refreshing after talking to stealer mechanics....

S&S started in '58, not long after that they were making crate panheads and shovelheads long before they supposedly helped the moco in the dark days of the 80s.

To think the crate engine thing started in the Evo days is wrong.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

kingkingking:

That bike sounds AWESOME I bet its a blast to smoke the crotch rockets. But you need to come over here so you can ride on the right side of the road. And in your video at about 1:15 I clinched a little thought that truck was going to back out of that driveway. But nice line holding the left lane by the way.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Too scary man! I never have understood how you chaps over there manage driving on the wrong side of the road all the time!

Joking aside, Harley tells us to drive on the RIGHT - OMG! When you think of all the 'warnings' and 'cautions' in the owners manual, that one is potentially terminal for those of us who drive on the left .

I think the English speaking export market gets US literature. I bet the Japanese (who also drive on the left) don't get told to do the opposite.

My wife and I shipped our Glide to the US in 2003 for the Centenary celebrations and travelled 3,500 miles on the right. We survived!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The bike is going much better since that vid was taken. I have been using the smart tune feature of the SERT and the roll on and part throttle response is transformed.

When I was at the drags I was pipped by about 20 feet by a 2009 R6, since then she has been dynoed and I am hoping she will be in the high 11s now, with a terminal speed over 110. Thats with the bags on, screen on and tools + wet weather gear in the bags (street trim).

My advice to anyone considering splitting their cases for a 110 or 113 is to save up the extra and get the kit. I went riding with a mate on a softail on the weekend who has a stg 2 CVO springer with the SE 110 and I blew him away from the lights. My bike is maybe 220lb+ heavier....

The only downside is my last 2 rear tyres lasted 6500 miles. I dont do burnouts...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to ride on those roads!! And I want my SG to pull like that!

I so miss the power of my K1200GT. That bike was a rocket for a 600# bike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I put a S&S 124" motor massaged by Tman and with the help of Mike Cat's in my 07 NT. I have about 1600 miles on her and it is a BEAST it is being tuned rite now as it had a generac map put in for break in. The bike rips roll on it in 3rd gear and roasts tire. 4000 rpm in 6th 100 mph. had the motor set up for low & mid power but it pulls hard at speed. I LOVE it had modified motors before but this one is th best hands down. It has the best of everything cut no corners wasn't cheap coul have bought a crate motor but wanted to use the parts I wanted. Will update later with dyno #s. Here are a few pics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information