Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nokia E73 - Buying in Canada, using on Wind Mobile

So I really want an Eseries phone to use on Wind Mobile in Canada that uses the same band IV 3G frequencies as TMobile USA.

The E73 was just released today but seems to be a TMobile exclusive. What do you think the chances are that this phone will ever be available unlocked in Canada? I'm assuming that the situation is somewhat like the E71x for ATT except not as crippled I hear.

Should I just find a way to get this shipped from TMobile to Canada and have it unlocked or is there any point in waiting for an unlocked version available in Canada? Getting stuff shipped here from TMobile is a real hassle but I'll do it if necessary.

As a side note, the E73 has "wifi calling" that is basically UMA for TMobile. Do you think this has replaced the normal Nokia SIP stack or will that still work as usual?

Thanks for any help!

Officially, Nokia does not sell unlocked phones in Canada. Any Nokia phone that you purchased from someone other than one fo the Canadian sell phone companies is from the grey market. and any phone that you purchase from one of those same cell phone carriers is locked. Your only hope is to buy a T-Mobile version or hope that Nokia USA sells this model. In either case, you will receive a phone with no Canadian warranty.

FYI -

It seems Tmo HAS messed with the software on this phone. SIP/Voip stack is not included and the "make internet call" option does not appear in the normal call menu - http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ort/m-p/708579

What's even worse is that it seems the UMA functionality not only doesn't function (I don't care, no UMA on Wind and SIP is cheaper anyways), but ALL wifi connectivity seems to need to connect through UMA and thus isn't working at all - http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ighlight/false

I wonder if any or all of these issues would be fixed by unlocking? I am very wary of buying this phone now especially since there is no non-Tmo firmware for it.

Unlocking won't fix any of that, you'd need to debrand, which isn't possible without stock firmware.

Thanks migo, kind of thought so. Excuse my ignorance but what do you make of the fact that wifi works normally in offline mode (no SIM)?

Hi All,

I'd like to dispel some myths pertaining to the E73.

1 - SIP does work, Gizmo is enabled on my E73 and when you punch in a number, the right key does turn into a Net Call button, also Internet Call is available as an option

2 - scanning for Wifi networks off the home screen adds the access point to the GAN destination instead of the Internet destination, so you have to add access points via the control panel

3 - the T-mobile E73 is definitely not as crippled as the AT&T E71x

4 - support for the E73 will go through T-mobile, of course, and they're pretty good about that stuff

5 - According to navifirm, the E73 is currently exclusive to T-mobile so debranding isn't an option yet. I may get adventurous and change the phone's product code to that of an E72 to see what happens, never know....

FYI - the E73 and E72 seem pretty similar. I bricked my E72 trying to downgrade the firmware (the latest FW sucks) so I decided to try the E73 on Wind. I was able to get an unlock code since I'm also a customer on T-Mobile.

All aside, I'm not digging the experience thus far. The E73 seems only capable of EDGE speed internet access, it could be my mis-configuration of the APNs or something similar, will have to look deeper. Also, short codes don't seem to work for SMS, that's another item I have to investigate.

Anyhow, I'll be posting stuff up on my blog (www.raj.jp) as soon as I complete my review.

Oh yea, one thing that I'm definitely not digging about the E73, no power port. All charging now happens with micro-USB. The E72 and E75 allow you to charge from either the power port and the micro USB port so this is saddening. At least the E73 uses the BP-4L battery of which I have several.

how did you get yours unlocked?? from tmobile customer support?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also a T-mobile customer. Their rule is that you have to be on the network for 45 days in order to get an unlock code. I purchased the phone under the premise that I will be upgrading the current hardware on the line which is true - while in the states, I will be using the hardware.

I more than qualify for an unlock, so they put a request in and in about 24 hours I had an unlock code.

thanks for the reply tinhead... you call or email customer support???? anyways i'll give it a go next week maybe...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information