Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most sympathetic and least sympathetic animated villains

Which are the most sympathetic and least sympathetic animated villains ever?

To make this more then list thread, please describe why the villain is sympathetic or unsympathetic.

Pizazz (Jem & The Holograms) I'd say is a sympathetic villain. Here you have a spoiled, unrelenting brat who throws (rather violent) tantrums when she doesn't get her way? Why does that make her sympathetic?

It's because her father allows her to be this way by buyig her everything she asks for, and had never done anything even remotely near parenting, being more concerned with running his business and making money, which ironically, is why Pizazz's mother left him.

Had her father actually taken the time to raise her properly, her and Jem/Jerrica might have actually been allies against Eric Raymond, who by all means, was completely unsympathetic, barring maybe one instance (The Princess & The Singer where him and Misfits stop a plot that would have killed Jem and her group in a bombing)

Macbeth from "Gargoyles" has to be the most sympathetic.

As for Demona, you're supposed to understand her, not sympathize with her. But...

Terra from Teen Titans, I don't like her at times but she made for an interesting character. Not really evil, but willing to do the wrong thing in order to have control of her powers. With her, I actually feel only partially sympathetic. She didn't really give the Teen Titans a fair chance. They fed her, gave her a home and extended their friendship to her only to nearly be killed for it. :shrug:

I'm pretty neutral about most villians. With Zuko, who I know will do the right thing when the times calls for it, is someone I sympathize with. He's always got a conflict going on, and he acutally makes it convincing at times.

Demona is not sympathetic overall, but there are sympathetic elements to her, she isn't a complete monster, even though she is not sympathetic in the end.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ompleteMonster

Now Judge Claude Frollo is a racist, genocidal, lustful old man, there is someone who has no sympathetic elements. Fire Lord Ozai is a fascist, child abusing, genocidal tyrant, there is a complete monster.

I will say Gobby from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is revealed to be a complete monster, but for spoiler reasons, I won't go into why.

The Gargoyles universe Dr. Anton Sevarius seems like a bigger monster then Demona.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't think of many right now, but I'll try my best

Most Sympathetic

1. Dr Robotnik (Sonic X)- Sure he was sort of evil, but he did have his moments and sometimes could be very comical. He even helped out Sonic and even teamed up with him sometimes. In fact, in one episode, Chris and Cosmo were attacked and injured by a new villain. Dr Robotnik showed up and basically said "I don't like the way you attacked Chris and Cosmo! It's one thing to take them prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt somebody, that's going too far!" Even when Sonic and Robotnik fought, Robotnik never fought to kill him.

2. The Toilenator (Kids Next Door) - Even though he wants to be a villain, he's not evil. He's actually kind of nice. Even if he is extremely incompetent.

Least Sympathetic

Frieza (Dragonball Z) - He's a heartless and sadistic monster who blew up 2 planets (almost eliminated an entire race because of it), enjoys brutally torturing his enemies before killing them, killed almost all of the nameks, and made Krillin explode. He also took Vegeta from his father when he was a little boy and said that if he didn't do whatever he wanted, he would kill his father. Even after Vegeta did everything that he asked, Frieza still killed his father. There's nothing sympathetic about that!

Least sympathetic, hmm...I'd have to agree with Claude Frollo. Scar in The Lion King is another contender from the Disney films, though.

Personally, I wouldn't consider Macbeth a villain since that implies a certain amount of evil or maliciousness. If we broaden this slightly to "antagonist" then I would completely agree. In my opinion Macbeth got a pretty raw deal in his backstory, immortality aside, and the only times he acted "evil" were when he was being controlled by a spell. Heck, I even sympathize with him in Pendragon, where he was fighting King Arthur over Excalibur...he had good reason to think he might have been qualified for it, and ultimately he accepted his defeat with dignity.

I may be parsing but Macbeth is one of my favorite characters in Gargoyles, so it seemed worthwhile to make the distinction.

Agreed. MacBeth was never really a *villain*, he was just a guy who got a raw deal and became bitter over time. In a way he was ultimately the flipside of Demona/Xanatos. He didn't want world conquest/immortality, he just wanted to die in peace, which he could't get because of his pact with Demona.

Looking back at all of his appearances, he actually had proper reasoning for most of his schemes pre/post Avalon centered episodes.

I actually found Talia on Batman: TAS sympathetic as a character, at least to an extent. I also felt sympathy for the Digimon Kaiser, though the series' poorly written plot twists post that ruined it - I was bsaically feeling sympathetic for nothing.

Likewise, on X-Men: TAS I felt horrible for Evil Morph - he was just tortured, depressed and uncertain.

And I gotta love Hank Scorpio - he's a villain, but he just wants what's best for his employees. I love his line - Homer's come to explain that his family's not happy, in the middle of a massive raid. In turn, Hank's line: "Homer, I'm disappointed, but I want what's best for you."

Being that I actually find Naruto's villains more interesting than the main characters, I actually felt sympathy for Itachi when he was

[SPOILER]killed by Sasuke [/SPOILER]

By contrast, I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for Mayuri Kurotsuchi.

Hmm well i usually don't sympathise as much with the less civilized villains such as The Regurgitator or so forth, but with those like Doctor Doofenshmirtz who are likeable and civilized people. Many villains seem positively savage and allow their emotions to control them, whereas more civilized ones such as Mr Burns or Drakken or Doofenshmirtz or Hank Scorpio are more sympathizable with because they are likeable people who just happen to be the antagonist. Indeed in many cases they are more likeable than the heroes who are often very weird and stupid people imo. Now i've nowt against miss Possible or that Bart Simpson fellow but darn it to blazes if you... look here see the point is that umm Mr Burns is normal...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information