Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    So is 0-Day the term we want here?
    I don't have almost any experience with NZBs and newsgroups, but private trackers often divide between spam (apps, music singles, anything else that's smaller than 100MB except TV DVDRips) and non-spam. What do you think about that handling?

Edit: after having another look at the first post it'd seem a "foreign" category may also come useful.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Well the OP wanted to occasionally be able to simply browse through every once in a while and see what's new, without dealing with random releases that don't relate to what hes looking for. A "spam/0day" filter of sorts and a foreign filter helps, but I also see that you mentioned that old releases sometimes spam up the index.

I'm not sure how it would be able to sort by the actual release date of files, without somehow rifling through the NFO or something. But another issue is that if you post an NZB thats 40 days old, it'll still appear on the front page because the index sorts by when things are posted on FST, not by when things are posted on usenet, which could cause some confusion if he's just looking for "what's new".
    If the board sorts stuff after usenet post date, and also sort after 0-day/new or whatever (a tag the poster sets of course) witch we filter it should sort out the problem.
    Stuff that's X days old could just have the "new" tag removed automatically.

Not sure if that was clever but I have to sleep anyway :P

And happy new year btw!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

We have the ability to sort by the actual age, ie the time the file was uploaded to usenet.
    The data is all in the database, see the "Age" column in NZB Index? That is calculated from the actual upload to usenet.
    I just need to make it sort by that value.

edit: Wait, it already exists. That was easy. :lol:
    http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/nzb-i...=desc&sort=age

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

If you look at the view count on some of ICE's posts there are people hitting the release. Weather they're snatching the nzb or not is another issue.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

please dont take this the wrong way. i am in no way chastising anyone, or complaining, simply suggesting something... again- im thankful for all the work everyone does.

soo.. if im looking for something in particular, obviously i will search it. sometimes i like browsing the nzb index though for new stuff- sometimes stuff i dont know about- akin to going to the store and browsing... previously, tower and sons would be the main posters (probably 95%+ of stuff)... usually it's the new stuff ie.. a new dvdrip comes out- its up... a tv show- the next day its up...

it seems now i have to rife through pages of german movies and electohouse music albums to actually browse anything useful.. now i understand not everyone here is from N.A. but frankly i dont think anyone here gives a crap about hollywood movies in german. for the handful of people specifically looking for that can they not take it to a search engine?

Here's a thought- how about the nzbindex split into two- one for new releases... ie.. actual new releases and not old but newly posted items... and a separate for all the random crap from the past thats cluttering the index now.

hope you guys understand what im trying to say and keep up the good work

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

Newzbin has an extremely varied and deep 'filter' system....BUT

You'd be surprised at the percentage of times that it fails to work correctly. Of course, it does rely on the 'editor' who puts in the listing, going through all the proper 'check-boxes' and actually building the database. Therein lies a lot of the problems.

Usually, I look at 'new' posts, and a lot of the time it reminds me of something; I look at the actual 'source' at a commercial site (like Amazon, DVD Empire, etc.), then go through my collection of sites like this with nzb listings) and see if anyone else hoovered up things that Newzbin missed. You'd be surprised, especially as Newzbin has been taking down/erasing listings at the whim of the **AA's and such, yet other sites still have the listing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

tesco; Could you have a layout like on private trackers where you can only view selected categories by checking the categories?

eg.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

I second that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

I'd prefer not to call it spam, that's kinda puts people off of posting it when in fact it's totally useful.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nzb index concern

I agree on this. Things could be categorized a little better as far as release dates and things of that nature.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information