Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

HTC Internet Tethering - How to.

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a HTC Desire.

Due to a lack of disks etc that came with the handset i was a little confused about how to make the Internet tethering work but after a bit of 'male' perseverance. (not reading the manual! :P) i worked out how to do it.

If you are plugging it straight in to the computer and selecting the Internet sharing option from the list this will not make it work like magic. (Yet)

You need to:

1. plug your phone in
    2. make sure it is in 'Disk Drive' mode.
    3. open it like a memory stick & Run the HTC Sync programme (takes about 3 mins but i'm sure it depends on your comp.)
    When you have finished the installation (you can then sync you contacts etc...)
    4. open the 'notification menu' (the one by dragging your finger down the screen) and select the Internet sharing.

5. and like magic, open your browser, and you have fully working Internet!

Mine, on Orange UK 3G network, is really quite comparable to a slow day through the broadband. Not quiet quick enough for every day but plenty quick enough if you are on the move!

WARNING - you will use more data through your computer so be careful if you only have a limited usage!

Hope i have been of help - let me know if it works/ doesn't work for you.

Well there are two other options:
    JuneFabrics has a freeware app called PdAnet that will do this for you.
    The second option is an app called proxoid.

Tethering for free. Enjoy!

absolutely, and i do know some people who like having loads of apps, but why take up memory (and slow things down) with unnecessary apps as the programme is already built in?

Exactly - the Desire has tethering out of the box so no need for any apps, rooting, or anything else.

A good app to monitor your network usage is NetCounter. It monitors both mobile data and WiFi individually, and you can set alerts for when you go over a given amount on a given network in a given time.

Thanks Chris for the info

Thanks for that, i have an unlimited data bundle so im not to fussed about the usage but what i would like is an app that automaticall jumps between WiFi hotspots... any ideas (i've not really looked yet, i'll let you know if i find anything.)

And thanks Wonsanim, it's not really the most technical information but i wish someone had done it so i could have found it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information