Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Bret

my timing is off in my 1979 buick regal 3.8 v6?

it has loss of power when i step on the gas. and is missing very bad.
    what is the best way to time it.and for the loss of power could that b the carb?

Andrew
    OK, I suggest that you first look at your ignition system. And read all of this because some of it isnt really in order and one problem may cause the one you fix, but it may just come back unless you address the real issue.

STEP 1: With engine running pull plug wires to see if there is a cylinder that isnt firing ,if a cylinder isnt firing there will be no change when you pull the plug wire and if it is working the engine may die or run more roughly. If any of these are bad, replace your cap and rotor (cheap). Check the resistance on your plug wires and if any are bad replace them. Also pull your spark plugs to see if they are fouled. And finally check your coil with a voltimeter and see if the resistances are within the guidelines. If none of this works move to step 2.

STEP 2:
    Time to check your timing... Buy a timing light because those old carb vehicles need them. At this point i would suggest buying a chilton or haynes manual so that you know the specifics on what to do. If timing is off, you will need to adjust your distributor cap until the timing light reads at the correct amount (standard is 10 degrees past top dead center) which will be indicated by the light. If timing is fine then proceed to step 3:

STEP 3: Check your fuel pressure, its possible that either your fuel filter is clogged (replace anyways theyr'e cheap and easy to do) , or your fuel pump has bit the dust.

STEP 4: Check Compression and Leaks. First thing... start it up and analyze the exhaust, if its blue and smokey your head gasket is blown, also if its white smoke that smells sweet and possibly leaves a sweet taste in your mouth when near it your head gasket is blown, also check your coolant, if there are bits of oil floating on top, chances are your block or your head gasket is blown. In which case get the head gasket replaced, and if its more serious than that, buy a new engine cause anything to fix it from here on out is way too expensive.
    Now on to checking compression, you need to go out now and buy yourself a compression tester, they are simple to use and will tell you right away if your engine is capable of running properly. Follow the directions in the compression tester, but the basic principal is that you put it in the spark plug hole, turn the engine over with all ignition plugs off, and record the pressure, if its too low, you have two options, buy a new engine, or rebuild your engine.

In final, remember that your engine needs 4 things to run properly, Spark (ignition system), Air/Fuel (carbs and fuel pump), Compression (pistion rings, cylinder heads, head gasket, cylinder walls), And finally timing (timing chain, distributor.) If you can prove one system works its time to move on to the next part. Simple as that

Don E
    This condition you speak of is generally due to a sinking float and need to install a rebuild kit in the carburetor.Stalling when turning and at stop signs along with misfire from being to rich from a sinking float or leaking accellerator plunger.Install the carburetor kit,change plugs ,correct all cracked and/or leaking vacuum lines under the hood and I believe the problem will be solved.Happened to my Dads car that how I know.Best wishes for you and family.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information