Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    4mares

If, while sitting at my desk, I move my legs and or feet like I am walking or...

...swing side to side in my chair? will it help me with losing weight and getting more fit or is it a waste of time?

Waste of time. There is a huge misconception on working out and weight loss. Weight loss boils down to calorie consumption. Lose the weight then work out to tone up is the best.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on your weight and activity level I suppose. For some people, I guess that would be considered exercise. For me, there's no WAY that would ever get my heart rate up enough to burn any calories, but I'm an avid runner.

If anything, what I would do is sit in your chair and rather than trying to pretend to walk (your chair will get in the way, and if you're doing any work it will throw you off balance) I would sooner try a "marching" type of motion. Pick one knee up as high as you can under your desk or whatever, hold it for like 10 seconds. Relax for 3, and repeat on both sides. You could also try doing it rapidly or add to it by making it a cycling motion.

The swinging side to side in your chair may be a good idea too I suppose. As long as you keep your upper body stationary, it should work. Concentrate on moving side to side by only using your abdominal muscles and just let your legs follow.

Another thing you can do is clenching certain muscles. Butt clenches are an easy one to do at your desk. Another is to raise your heels so you're on your tip toes sitting down and just tighten your calf muscles. One more good one is to put your fist or a ball between your knees and squeeze it. You can do a few sets of 10 seconds, but sometimes I just like to try to sit like that for a while and see how long I can do it. It works your inner thighs, which is important for runners so I do this one a lot.

Some general tips: I would also just make a conscious effort to walk more. Like rather than calling someone, walk over to their office. Park farther away than you used to...etc. Every little bit helps. Also, be sure to drink TONS of water. It will take some getting used to, but it's vitally important to your health, metabolism, and ultimately, your weight loss success. And I'm not sure if or when you exercise, but if you haven't woken up at 5 to work out, you really should try it. Waking up earlier shocks your bodies metabolism. Not to mention you'll feel great and as counter-intuitive as this might sound, you will have LOADS more energy throughout the day.

You might find some helpful hints on these websites too...I know I did! It's hard to stay active at a desk job.

Good luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    waste of time - no telling how long you would have to do that to get results - go for a walk.

that is definitely a waste of times

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't necessarily think it will help you lose weight, but it may tone your stomach (the mommy pouch area) and also your legs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information