Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    SCRAT

Kawasaki Ninja 250r or 500r?

I'm a first time rider and I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle. I've definitely decided a Ninja is the way to go as they have the look I like while still being okay for beginners but I have to wonder what I should be looking at for me personally. Thing is, I'm a 115 lb girl so I think that my size might make the 500 more unruly for me than what I'd really be looking for as a beginner but despite not being that tall (5'5") I have unusually long legs (34" inseam) so I wonder if the 250 might be a bit short. What should I be looking at? Is the 500 too much? Would the 250 be too little? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot so that a factor too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ok skrat, take a riding course first, truthfully as a first bike buy some thing small like an enduro street/dirt bike 125cc ride the crap out of it fall, flip, drop, try to kill this machine, because if you don't learn on this, your next bike just might kill you, and remember cars don't give a crap that they are suppose to share the road w/you, the 250 is the cheaper route, and once you have conquered the road and have not become road kill, move to the screamers any thing over 500cc!!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been riding for many, many years. I suggest you do not get a bike. You will very likely get hurt- really hurt or worse.

If you are stubborn, do me a favor- if you can...go right now to Youtube.com and type in "bad motorcycle accident." It's rarely your fault- cars will pull U turns right in front of you- no possible way to stop and near impossible to avoid. If you can honestly sit through this for 2 hours straight, then go out and get the 500cc. I think it will fit you better and it has more power which can actually be safer to get you out of the way of the car. Extra power is only a problem if you don't know how to ride. You can get just as dead on a 125cc bike, if you do not learn how to control the power.

The other poster is 100% correct- if you are going to ride, you need to first learn to ride correctly by taking a professional safety riding course on a borrowed 125cc or scooter. Learn slow and in an area without trees, curbs, poles (of any kind, etc.) ALWAYS wear FULL gear whenever you ride. Do not try to keep up with more advanced riders and don't go too slow in traffic either- also dangerous. In 100 degree temps I had full leathers, full face helmet, gloves, boots, etc.
    Other tips:
    Loud Exhaust is a must.
    Don't top off your fuel- it overflows onto the rear tire by design- slippery
    Toll Booths are oil slicks- you'll go right down
    Dont downshift in a turn- wheel hops and you can crash
    Always install a steering dampner to prevent tank slappers
    STICK TO A CAR WITH 4 DOORS AND A SEAT BELT!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been riding for many, many years. I suggest you do not get a bike. You will very likely get hurt- really hurt or worse.

If you are stubborn, do me a favor- if you can...go right now to Youtube.com and type in "bad motorcycle accident." It's rarely your fault- cars will pull U turns right in front of you- no possible way to stop and near impossible to avoid. If you can honestly sit through this for 2 hours straight, then go out and get the 500cc. I think it will fit you better and it has more power which can actually be safer to get you out of the way of the car. Extra power is only a problem if you don't know how to ride. You can get just as dead on a 125cc bike, if you do not learn how to control the power.

The other poster is 100% correct- if you are going to ride, you need to first learn to ride correctly by taking a professional safety riding course on a borrowed 125cc or scooter. Learn slow and in an area without trees, curbs, poles (of any kind, etc.) ALWAYS wear FULL gear whenever you ride. Do not try to keep up with more advanced riders and don't go too slow in traffic either- also dangerous. In 100 degree temps I had full leathers, full face helmet, gloves, boots, etc.
    Other tips:
    Loud Exhaust is a must.
    Don't top off your fuel- it overflows onto the rear tire by design- slippery
    Toll Booths are oil slicks- you'll go right down
    Dont downshift in a turn- wheel hops and you can crash
    Always install a steering dampner to prevent tank slappers
    STICK TO A CAR WITH 4 DOORS AND A SEAT BELT!

You want to be able to sit on a bike with both feet flat on the ground. They do publish seat height in the specs for most bikes, but the only real way to tell is to sit on the bike, because the seats are all shaped differently.

The 250 is great for around town or on country back-roads. If you plan to travel on freeways, 70 mph or more, it will go a few miles just fine. In fact it might go more than that, but a 250 is not designed for extended high speed so it's not comfortable or safe for long high-speed trips.

If you plan to go on long weekend rides, or camping, or 'touring', the 500 is a better choice, assuming your legs reach the ground. So it would be a better choice. It's not really that much bigger or heavier. Look it up and you'll see the difference is probably no more than 30 or 40 pounds. 500cc is not too big to start on, and you're not as likely to 'grow out of it'.

You want to be able to sit on a bike with both feet flat on the ground. They do publish seat height in the specs for most bikes, but the only real way to tell is to sit on the bike, because the seats are all shaped differently.

The 250 is great for around town or on country back-roads. If you plan to travel on freeways, 70 mph or more, it will go a few miles just fine. In fact it might go more than that, but a 250 is not designed for extended high speed so it's not comfortable or safe for long high-speed trips.

If you plan to go on long weekend rides, or camping, or 'touring', the 500 is a better choice, assuming your legs reach the ground. So it would be a better choice. It's not really that much bigger or heavier. Look it up and you'll see the difference is probably no more than 30 or 40 pounds. 500cc is not too big to start on, and you're not as likely to 'grow out of it'.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't listen to dave. You can't live your life scared. If its your time, its your time. You could get hit by a bus while you cross the street. There is no other feeling like riding a motorcycle. Start with a 500, just be careful. Get a feel for it and don't rush things. Ride a couple days around your neighborhood, then the streets, and then finally the highway. I started with a 750cc and had no problems at all, I just didn't rush things. A 250 is good, but you will grow out of it really quick. I rode my friend's 250 last week, I must say, very disappointed, the throttle response is BAD. And remember, always gear up. I'd rather be riding hot w/ all my gear, then riding with a road rash on my face/arm/leg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information