I hit a parked car yesterday. Now when I mean hit it I was reversing out of the parking space and bumped the back bumper, at the corner. There was only a few scratches and no dent or other damage. I didn't take a photo - no camera on me. I left my name and number and told the person to contact me. They emailed me today with a quote stating that there is £1500 worth of damage as I cracked the bumper. The bumper was not cracked when I hit it. My insurance company told me that they are disputing the claim as what I claimed happened doesn't correspond with the amount they are claiming and told me to wait unitl they contact me further. My car had no damage at all. Considering I was reversing like a snail.
My insurance firm read the quote and said that where I hit the rear bumper the damage claimed doesn't match. On the actual quote they have requested a boot touch up too. I didn't hit the boot. My car bumper doesn't even reach the boot. If it helps my car is a Ford Ka and the car I scratched is a BMW 5 series.
Insurance company also stated that they want the people involved to get a variety of quotes before they do anything and want to inspect the car first. They also stated that I have the right to refuse the quotes they have offered me and find the work to be done cheaper elsewhere.
Are they taking the piss??