Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Omstarts

Joke at work about hanging... did I overstep the mark here?

Ok. A tad long-winded, but here goes....

I am an engineer. On Monday, I met with an Architect and some contractors on site. We were doing an external lighting demonstration on a massive public building being constructed. It is due to open in April, however, the opening date is in jeopardy.

During the demonstration, the Architect joked "When the community realise we won't open in time, they will lynch me and hang me outside this building!!"

Quick as a flash, I quipped:

"Well, you have some wonderful accented lighting outside the building - it will show off your best features."

All laughed, including the architect. The contractor especially laughed very hard - this could explain his late payment this week.

Now, no repercussions, but it has been niggling me. My question is, should I apologise for the remark, or would I simply draw more attention to it by bringing it up now? As he made the initial joke about hanging, was I wrong to follow it up, or am I worrying about nothing?
    Ello Guv'na - he is a Sikh.... but then the community 'lynching him' are a Sikh community as well.....
    Flossy:- The architect certifies the contractor's valuations and decides if they are fair, hence if they get paid.

jrah86
    He brought it up. Don't stress about it.

Ello Guvna
    no it was funny, you over think things too much

as long as the guy who was going to get lynched wasnt black, otherwise you'll get the sack

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your being paranoid you have absolutley nothing to worry about.
    They laughed didn't they? Its just banter and they've probably forgotten all about it by now.

Old Mister Happy
    Apologize privately only if the niggling continues. Personally I think the comment was brilliant and funny, and if it were directed at me, I would have laughed; perhaps even struck an appropriate pose.

Don't worry.

bluegirl
    obviuosly you seek to have your rapid wit recognised on a higher level. Well congrats on a top joke.....now leave it and move on...it's over.

Misty M
    Obviously everyone thought it was funny. And if I had been standing there, I would have laughed also. No need to apologize.

Skidoo
    It was a good joke and everyone laughed - if you ever have a chance to speak with the Architect one to one, you could mention your concerns and your hope that he took it the right way, but otherwise let it go.

Cool hal
    Even as someone as politically correct as me can find nothing wrong with that statement - you responded in a witty way without drawing on any racist, sexual or gender. It was harmless banter.

Dont worry

Hime-chan
    I know saying to not worry won't help, so the best thing you can do is ask the architect if the joke offended and apologize. That way, you'll no for sure if you said something wrong.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information