Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pro's / Con's of 50 gallon fish tank?

I have a 20 gallon and a fry grow out 10 gallon. Both are full and I would like to keep my fry. Is it worth getting a bigger fish tank? Should I get a tank bigger than 50 gallons?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it would be hard to clean.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pros: It can be very beautiful with all the fish and plants that can be kept in it

Cons: It takes a lot of floor space and there is a larger area to clean.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only con is that it will be harder to clean but not to bad. I would say get a 50, That will give you a ton more room fo your fish, and you can buy a tank divider so you can have a 40 gallon and a 20 or a 25 and a 25.

You're not saying what kind of fish....that would really help.

If it's a smaller species of fish...you can use the room involved with a 50g to run 3 10g's(actually a cheaper investment overall) and split up the fry into "grow-out" tanks.Make you feel like you're "Going Pro".

If it's a larger species....get the 50g and move the spawning pairs to it,use the 20g to bring on the larger fry,and use the 10g to "catch up" the smaller fry.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can afford it, it's always worth it to get the bigger tank. Bigger tanks are actually lower maintenance, more forgiving, and your fish have more room to swim around, making them X times happy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 55 gallon and it is actually easier to clean than my 10 gallon guppy feeder tank. If you have the money id say do it, because you can fit more stuff in it and more fish.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A bigger tank is always better on two conditions. The first is that you can afford it, the second that you have space. More water is more stable, more water will keep cleaner easier, and more volume means aquascaping to your hearts desire.

Harder to clean? Not really, you'll need to deal with more water and you'll have more area to vacuum, but if you get the right supplies it's not a big deal. For my big tanks I use a python hose that plugs into the tap and drains and fills and vacuums the tank without having to haul buckets. My 75 gallon is no harder for me than the 15, and the 2.5 gallon tank is probably the biggest pain of all.

It's a mistake to think just because you get a bigger tank you need to get bigger fish - in fact, if you resist getting big fish just because you have a bigger tank, your fish will have that much more room, and schooling fish don't need to be kept in minimal groups - you can keep real schools, plus a greater variety of fish if you wish. And of course, you will want room for those fry! Multiple small tanks might be a good idea if you plan on continuously breeding to sell, but otherwise it's much nice to have one splendid larger one.

allyalexmch
    Well it depends on how much space you have. Use this rule, 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information