Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the $8,000.00 Harley Davidson model?

I saw a commercial and it showed this Harley bike for about 8 thousand, I didn't write down what I saw, but I wanted to find more info about it on the internet.

Anyone know what Im talking about?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sportster 883

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only new Harley I can think of for that price is the Sportster. The 883 Custom lists for $7,999. Many people think of the 'sporty' as a girl's bike, but it's also a good beginners bike for a smaller male, or for someone who wants a lighter weight bike for commuting.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sportster 883

You are taking about the 883 Sportster Iron. This is their entry level bike. It is built on the regular Sportster frame but with a smaller motor and less expensive trim (chrome, seat, shocks, brakes and such). There is good news and bad news with this bike.

Good news. It is a real H-D. Is fairly light, easy to handle and looks great. You can also buy tons of accessories for it. In my opinion, this is a fine summer ride.

Bad news. It is not even close to fast, doesn't have great tires, shocks or brakes and the motors are said (by Harley mechanics) to be "disposable." When this bike wears out, buy a big twin or switch brands because the 883 engines are not worth rebuilding.

So, if you are looking for a first bike, or a first Harley; if you will only be riding in good weather or don't plan to keep the bike for years and years, then I believe the $8,000 883 Sportster would be a good choice for you. If you want something more from your bike, save up for the 1,200 (I love the XR1200) or get a Big Twin--there is a reason you see so many Glides on the road.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't doubt what Command said, but keep in mind that the 883 isn't slow, it's just slow compared to other 900cc bikes. Or even 600cc sport bikes, but it's not meant to be a sport bike.

Engines being "disposable"? I don't care if a bona fide HD mechanic said that, I find that very hard to believe. Cheap Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine are disposable, but only because the have aluminum cylinderwalls and no rod bearings and you can buy a new one for the same price of overhauling a used one. That certainly doesn't describe the 883 engine. I suspect the mechanic that said it was one of those HD guys that hate Sportsters....mainly because the Sportster is faster than his personal big twin. As far as the wearing the engine out, you're going to have to ride it very hard for a lot of miles to actually "wear" it out.

I met a gal on her 883 a while back. The bike was very well finished with the typical HD high quality chrome and paint job. She had HD hard saddlebags and they fit perfectly on the bike and had a wonderful finish that perfectly matched the bike. Top of the line to be sure.

As far as other people's opinions of the 883, dismiss them...as well as my own. If you like the bike and it will do what you expect of it, then go for it. If it won't do it, then find a bike that will regardless of what brand or size it is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be the 2010 883 Iron model with a manufacturer list of $7,999. There is a lower priced model, the 883 low for a Thousand less. Actual dealer price may vary.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information