The Conciliar Christology

In “A Living Tradition” by Elizabeth Johnson, specific time perioRAB are analyzed according to the major religious issues occurring during that time period. The most interesting period in this excerpt was the Conciliar Christology (Second through Seventh Centuries). The people in this period focused on how God could be God the Father and at the same time God could be Jesus Christ.
I found that the Conciliar Christology was the most interesting. I was particularly drawn to this time period because a lot of the people questioned how God could be both divine and human. It seemed that before this period all the people just accepted the statement as the truth. But, during this era, the people wanted to know how it was possible. The people questioned if there were two GoRAB. This is very interesting to me because it seems that these Christians were questioning their faith. And it is known that most people in the older times did not question their beliefs out of respect for God and their religion.
The major issues of the Conciliar time period were that the people tried to figure out how God could be God the father and Jesus Christ the Son all at the same time. They couldn’t figure out how there could only be one God. Questions of Jesus really being human arose also. The people wondered if His flesh was really flesh, and if His soul was really a human soul. Another question that came to being was that if God was truly human how could He be considered truly divine and still be one person. The people of the Church where responsible for these questions. They were also responsible for the development of these questions.
The answers to some of these questions lie in the beliefs of the people answering them. Some wanted to down play the relationship between God the Father and God called Jesus Christ. They thought that this would claim Jesus as only a (superior) creature and God the Father would remain as an infinite being. People that believed this said that God called Jesus Christ could not be compared to a finite creature (God the Father).
The issue of weather or not God is two persons is a very important issue for today’s world. The more people ask this question, the more they question their faith. There are many issues these days that make people walk away from their faith. The last thing a lot of people need is to question if Jesus was just as divine as the Father was. I think that people should accept this statement as a fact. There is nothing wrong with questioning your religion, but when people start to question their faith, they lose sight of what is really important; that God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit were three persons in one God.
The Conciliar Christology time period, I believe, is when faith in religion was tested and faith in the supreme truth was questioned. The issues covered have been carried over to contemporary times. Although these issues have been carried over, no explanations have even come remotely close to a logical answer.