Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    shaibaz786
    shaibaz786
's Avatar

[Guide] The 100% Fool Proof Guide: STOCK N1 to ROOT to SENSE UI/CM!

So I recently decided to take my 100% stock Nexus One to Sense UI and I've documented every single step of the way. I've written this guide for two reasons. First, this entire process is scattered around in dozens of threads, written by equally as many people. Not only that, but most people in these threads assume that you know by heart exactly what adb, fastboot, recovery, and others are all about. Second, to put it bluntly, most people are pretty terrible at writing documentation. Writing down what you did so other people can follow seems extremely difficult for many people. Luckily, this is a skill I am good at. So here is a full consolidation of all the information, re-writtern for clarity as I went along step-by-step, from my many hours of attempting to bring my Nexus One from 100% stock to Desire's Sense UI. (Edit: Some people have said they'd run through this guide in 20 minutes!! It might look like a lot, but a lot of steps take a few seconds.)

Disclaimer:You agree that by doing this process, I'm not responsible for any bricked devices.
    Unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty.
    This process will erase all of your phone's data.
    Please don't copy/paste this elsewhere (to prevent having outdated info); just link back.
    If you need immediate help, these guys might be able to help -> http://webchat.freenode.net -> Channel "modaco".
    And this guide is written as if you are using Windows XP.*(Yes, the above image of Google's campus is totally unrelated, but totally cool!)

Backup [Optional] On PC: www.gmail.com -> Contacts -> Export, choose Google CSV On N1: Market -> AppMonster (or any other Backup application you prefer) -> Backup all apps (If you want/need to backup sms etc, I don't know what non-root app does this) Remove any authenticators etc

Downloads Download nexus-addon-0.1-signed.zip, (From thread: CyanogenMod-5) Download Desire Sense UI OR CyanogenMod:
    Sense UI: Download the latest version here: MoDaCo Custom ROM Desire Port (Choose with MoDaCo Additions, without A2SD) Alternate download location (mirror) for r21: alpha-r21-update-modacocustomrom-nexusone-desire-withadditions-sig.zip Cyanogen Mod:
    CyanogenMod Download the "Google Addon" as well
    Don't download any "radio" updates unless you know what you're doing! (I would highly advise against it!) Place both zip files (3 for Cyanogen) on N1's sdcard (don't unzip)
    Setup SDK Download android-sdk_r06-windows.zip Unzip to C:\ drive so it looks like C:\android-sdk-windows\ Run SDK Setup.exe Double click everything so it has a red X except for green check mark next to "USB Driver Package"
    Install On N1: Settings -> Application -> Development -> enable USB debugging

Connect phone to PC, do not mount New Hardware Found -> Point the install location to C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver\

PC: Start -> Run -> cmd -> press Enter. A black window should appear. Type: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools Press Enter Type: adb devices Press Enter
    - It should say something similar to "HT123P123456 device" (this is your phone's serial number).
    - If it says "cannot find" or "invalid path" etc, make sure you're typing *exactly* what the green text above says.
    - If it says something else, try to reinstall the USB Driver package and restart your PC.
    - If it still doesn't work, reply to this thread and say "adb devices does not work. When I type 'adb devices', it says _______________. My PC is running _______________." [Choose one: Windows XP | Windows Vista | Windows 7 | Mac | Linux]

If it works, your PC is correctly recognzing the phone. Continue on to the next step!

shaibaz786
    shaibaz786
's Avatar

for clear image

shaibaz786
    shaibaz786
's Avatar

Unlock Bootloader

shaibaz786
    shaibaz786
's Avatar

Flash Recovery

shaibaz786
    shaibaz786
's Avatar

Install a Different ROM If you want to install a new version of a ROM, switch to a different ROM like Cyanogen, etc, only repeat the "Install ROM" section. The only difference is you'll be downloading / flashing a different zip file of course. Make sure you backup (and wipe!) first before flashing any new roms! To go back to the original Android ROM, either Restore your backup, or download the zip file from the following thread and repeat the Install ROM section: [ROM] Original Shipping - Tutorial - xda-developers
    Known Issues: Bluetooth is known to be buggy / will most likely not work. (Can't be fixed until HTC releases the Desire source code.) USB mount notification does not appear - use 'USB Mount' application from menu. To set live wallpapers, go into Settings -> Personalize.

--------------------------------------------------

What's the status on Bluetooth?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information