Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dftjop

I remember Obama saying he opposed gay marriage in the last debate?

But his site says he will "Oppose a Constitutional Ban on Same-Sex Marriage"

Is Obama going to keep any promises he made during his campaign?
    http://change.gov/agenda/civil_rights_agenda/

Lawyer X
    Actually, he said he is personally opposed to gay marriage. But being a true believer in individual freedom, he has also said he is not in favor of a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. Not everyone believes their personal views should be imposed on others as, for example, the Christian right does.

prop4u
    its not about gay marriage, its about equal civil rights... somewhere along the line, someone made this a religious thing... they are looking equal rights!!! They deserve it and if marriage is part of it... so be it...

shilo9i
    Just because he is against something does not mean he thinks the US Constitution should be amended.

The US Constitution should not be amended for every little thing when appropriate measures through laws would be more appropriate.

Think harder...please...

Dixiecrat
    Obama will bend over himself for his "advisors". We know who's really running the circus!

sweetjane
    Obama has had the SAME position since day one:
    SEN. OBAMA: I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. (Applause.) Now, for me as a Christian, it's also a sacred union. You know, God's in the mix. (Applause.)

REV. WARREN: Would you support a constitutional amendment with that definition?

SEN. OBAMA: No, I would not.

REV. WARREN: Why not?

SEN. OBAMA: (Applause.) Because historically, we have not defined marriage in our Constitution. It's been a matter of state law that has been our tradition. Now, I mean, let's break it down. The reason that people think there needs to be a constitutional amendment, some people believe, is because of the concern about same-sex marriage. I am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage, but I do believe in civil unions. I do believe that we should not -- that for gay partners to want to visit each other in a hospital, for the state to say, you know what, that's all right, I don't think in any way inhibits my core beliefs about what marriage are.

I think my faith is strong enough and my marriage is strong enough that I can afford those civil rights to others, even if I have a different perspective or a different view. (Applause.)

Sageandscholar
    There is absolutely no inconsistency there.
    Personally Obama opposes it but he respects the rights of US citizens in each state to have their say on what laws should apply in their state.
    I am opposed to talentless boy bands dominating the number one single spot and teams other than the Yankees, Knicks, and Giants winning national leagues - but I do not believe we should have a constituional amendment to ban it.
    How is that difficult to understand?

DIANE B
    We don't need a constitutional ban on gay marriage. We have actual problems to solve. Being against gay marriage does not mean that you want to add something to the constitution to ban it.

TheMom
    As far as I know, he has always supported civil unions, but against gay marriage.

Morena Latina
    Yes Obama is against same-sex marriages but he's for civil unions.

He opposes a constitutional ban on gay marriage because the constitution has never been amended to take away rights from a group of people.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information