Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

Well from what I've seen Overnet does only take about 5-10% of the CPU.

But once Overnet is running, it increases the SVCHOST.EXE via SYSTEM up to 100% after 45mins to 1 hour until SVCHOST crashes and the OS is forced to reboot. This happens every time and only when Overnet is running.

Since, I don't have this problem with CleanKMD or BT or Shareaza and actually just re-installed the OS from scratch it must be something with the Overnet client.

Just so you know, I'm only downloading 3 files at time and only hold 50 connections max, of which most of the time only about 13 connections are established.

Which is why I wonder if others have the same problem and which OS they use.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

ok, all you firewall users for Overnet please help. :helpsmile:

I've set TCP 4662 and UDP 6440 for Overnet and opened these ports on my firewall.

But once I do this Overnet downloads much slower. Are there any other ports that I should open for Overnet to download faster?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

Are you using a router or a software firewall. if it is a software firewall then you could just allow overnet to work on all ports incoming and outgoing.

If you are using a router then you going to need to forward the ports overnet uses.

also use norton antivirus corp. it is fast and lite weight and done not come with crap like Mcafee.

(i hate how you have to update Mcafee and the "extra" crap it has. Mabe someone can show me a better version)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

I appreciate the help, but plese don't call me boss.

fact - SVCHOST.exe sends outbound into the internet and then my system crashes.

event logs from firewall and OS comfirms this.

If it is not a virus of some sort then what would cause Overnet to do this?

I've searched on your forum you mentioned. The forum says that it is a virus.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

Try a different antivirus....kapersky (sp?), AVG, Norton Corp edition are good ones.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

what are your specs?? and read my post again i have named 4 or 5 differernt reasons

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

mcafee 7.0 pro and no problems what so ever and you don't update it, you update your virus definitions every now and then they do have and update for the program but who does not?? also norton is one of the softwares that can have a compatiblity issue with overnet, and norton sucks anyways,

best firewall is sygate.

you guys can use almost any port you like but if you gonna change it then restart overnet and give it time, your sources had you done for the other ports give it time and see if it does not change after a day then change it :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

if you have a high cpu usage problem it could be files hashing, corrupt files, sofware compatibility issue, memory leak, too many downlaod/uploads and etc.
    It doesn't read that it's hashing, it reads as transfering. Even if I were a hashing problem, I doubt that would happen again after I re-installed the OS and installed Overnet the second time.

Corrupt files, I don't think it's the corrupt system files as again, I mentioned that I installed everything from scratch twice. So I'm guessing corrupt files that I'm downloading? I doubt that since the files I'm downloading are quite common and it doesn't matter what I'm downloading, maybe it be a 1mb crack file to a 700mb CD image or a 40mb video clip.

Software compatiblity issue, I'm running WinXP on an AMD 1Ghz with 256DRAM with 2 HDD, one 40GB and the other 80GB. I don't use anything out of the ordinary. I'm not running X-windows of a BSD box or anything.

Memory leak, yes I definately believe this to be the problem. Overnet is link through SVCHOST.EXE. The question is how do I fix this?

Too many files, I'm downloading 3 files and have only 13 out of 50 connections only. I'm using about 40% of my bandwidth. I've got 20GB of free space on my second HDD and plenty of working memory as nothing else is running.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

it sounds like you have the W32.Blaster.Worm

if this is not the case try using overnet lite

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Overnet Rpc Error

That isn't the case since, I do have virus scan.

Plus this only happens when I'm using Overnet. It does not happen when I'm using BT, Shareaza or CleanKMD.

Where can I download Overnet Lite? Can you recommend a good site?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information