Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swapnut Virus

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Eveyone I downloaded a file sharing program SWAPNUT and installed it and it very nicely sent an E-mail to everyone in my address book saying how good the program is and recommending it. I had no idea it did this until I got some replies back. I had already de-installed it because it was rubbish and I will have to check my system completely before I know it is clear.

DO NOT INSTALL

JOhn

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Hi

while you're in the installation process, it asks you if you want to send mails to your friends to tell them about swapnut. perhaps you just clicked next and next and didn't even read the information which was given to you...

so no, it's no virus.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Yikes! didn't notice that when I tried (maybe because I don't use MS Lookout).

You're right it's not a virus - it's something FAR WORSE! It's intentional spamming! Such a feature serves NO OTHER PURPOSE. If a person WANTS to tell their friends about a program they will. What's with you guys? Trying to steal the sleezball tactic crown away from BearShare?

Note to all potential users of this application: Beware! This kind of self promotion is apt to get *you* in trouble for spamming with your ISP - and not those behind the program (since you do their dirty work).

Note to Swap Nut: I strongly urge you to rethink this very questionable practice - it's bound to stir up many negative reactions to your product.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

The original poster of this message is the perfect example of the stupid people that install things without reading terms and conditions. Before you post that things are a virus and make yourself look like a chimp, go back and read what you are actually agreeing to. SwapNut is not a virus. You just agreed to let them send an email to your email contacts.

-Goober

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Good Evening,

What the above poster said is correct -- there is a function in the SwapNut configuration process where alert emails will be sent to your contact list. However, it is important to note that this is purely voluntary and permission-based.

Nevertheless, in retrospect we can see how it could be received.. poorly... by some users, and we are making a concerted effort to get a new build which addresses thes eissues out ASAP.

Thanks for your patience as we learn to navigate here

JL

James Leasure
    President
    File Metrics, Inc. (creators of SwapNut)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

My $0.02 are as follows:

If you are going to send an email to people's email lists, then make it very clear. I can see how some people just click on the NEXT buttons over and over and don't read what is going to happen, then get all angry when it does.

I guess there is no such thing as bad publicity when you are trying to grow, so perhaps this is what you were looking for.

Another thing is that I downloaded SwapNut last week and didn't see any of this during the install. When did you start adding the EMAIL A FRIEND type promotion to SwapNut?

Pete

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Whatever the case of if they clicked yes to promoting to friends or not, there's still the problem of how to stop it!

one email is fine.. tolerable..

but I got 9 emails today and 5 yesterday from 1 guy.
    He is upset and doesn't know how to stop it - he's already uninstalled the program.. and is begging us for his help it stop sending us emails.. I have no idea since I'm not planning on installing it to find out..

Doesn't look like he's going to get very far since I've seen no suggestions on any message board I've been to tonight.

If anyone knows any other way he can stop spamming me (without his or my permission).. please let us know.

The "I told you so's" and the "Read the Terms" isn't altogether helpful when the program is like this. He said that he's already emailed swapnut and they are not replying to his email.

Thought perhaps he should add them to his address book however since they don't seem to respond to email there would really be no point in that exercise.

Regards,

Ches
    [email protected]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

Subject: --==>>> PLEASE READ!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

HAHA. Those are some funny emails. Smart people.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapnut Virus

This is just a guess, but look in your Windows/system folder for a program called fsg.exe. I don't know what it does, but I do know that it doesn't belong there. Remove and see if that stops the email generation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information