Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can Gnutella be blocked by an ISP?

maybe its time to stop reading books from barnes and noble and try some real world stuff like monitor some TCP packets certification only means you kissed some corporate *** so you could try to get more $$ anyone can pass a written test if they can memorize stuff.
    sorry, but this certification stuff upsets me because i know some bone heads that mess things up real bad and have "certification", then I have to go fix it they do pay me the bigger bucks though, but it still upsets me that i go and fix this simple stuff.
    port 80 is on the server side, not the client thats not in your book now is it?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

netst -an partly cut/paste

TCP 192.168.0.25:2427 66.28.32.107:80 TIME_WAIT
    TCP 192.168.0.25:2433 216.239.35.119:80 ESTABLISHED

Looks to as they are in the 2000-4000 range.. but this is not guaranteed to be so. Oh well..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's the outgoing port. If I were to block 2433 and 2427, I'd still get a connection to port 80 on the remote machine. I think that was the point later on the discussion (although quite unrelated to the initial topic I must say).

-- Mike

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't matter what you think you know... Most firewalls do block everything but the common ports. 80, 23, etc. Not leaving either of the ports you mention open, with no problems at all.

I agree with you that certification doesn't mean much, but I do know what I'm talking about as I set up firewalls, routers, and so forth. Always only leaving open the public ports, and a few private ones for AIM and the like.

My current firewall settings... Notice no open 2000 or 4000.

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by [email protected] ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
    Interesting ports on (10.150.10.64):
    (The 1499 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
    Port State Service
    21/tcp open ftp
    22/tcp open ssh
    23/tcp open telnet
    25/tcp open smtp
    43/tcp open whois
    53/tcp open domain
    70/tcp open gopher
    80/tcp open http
    109/tcp open pop-2
    110/tcp open pop-3
    119/tcp open nntp
    441/tcp open decvms-sysmgt
    442/tcp open cvc_hostd
    443/tcp open https
    554/tcp open rtsp
    648/tcp open unknown
    820/tcp open unknown
    821/tcp open unknown
    822/tcp open unknown
    823/tcp open unknown
    1080/tcp open socks
    1433/tcp open ms-sql-s
    5190/tcp open aol
    8080/tcp open http-proxy

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There it is, 8080 and your browser looks for that one or any open one like in the 3000's or 2000's it can get when it needs it unless you tell it to use a proxy then you restrict it as what to use.
    Nice you leave ftp open for me to hack in, and that mail server, nice! Thanks.
    You are not serving http docs so why leave 80 open?
    pop3 too how nice for me.
    Your firewall is set up for a server, you better quit that crap. Who said to do that? Do these people you work for know you are doing it that way?
    I was hoping you would find out for yourself, but I will spell it out, go get on a linux box, dial in (no firewall please), start netscape, browse for a while, open a shell, type "netstat -n" and post the first few lines here for us and tell us all about it. Think before you type, please!
    Linux is a firewall, so you don't need one. Windows is the only reason for a firewall because it stinks as a real OS, or you may want one just if you are paranoid.
    Glad you are learning, but remember you will never know it all. Read the man page on netstat and show us what you can do with it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can configure your firewall to block or allow both ways

ie:

add allow all from 10.0.0.150 2000 to 10.0.0.151 80
    add deny all from any to any

this would only allow a socket connection to port 80 on 10.0.0.151 if 10.0.0.150 would actually bind their socket to port 2000.

Anyway, its a mute discussion. Its more fun to squable about protocols

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You really need to calm down... The firewall is set up to accomodate several hundred servers and thousands of workstations. Is that good enough of an answer for you? ftp, http, ssl, and pop3 are open because they need to be open. You take me for an idiot and that's only your first mistake. Besides, from what I've heard from you so far, you sound like you couldn't break into even a Windows box, with or without any firewall.

I am not a windows user, on 90% or my own machines I'm running OpenBSD 2.8, while I only have one Windows NT 4 box I access over VNC and a couple Slackware Linux 7.1 (and one 3.3) boxes.

If you'd like the output of netstat, fine, but I think this discussion wouldn't go anywhere. My own system, with netstat, tcpdump, snort, and so forth, doesn't report a single port 2000-5000 being used at all, so I renew my original statement.

And perhaps you will take your own advice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So... I tried to read it all, and I still clueless.
    I'm behind a firewall, the messenger, the icq, and the Y!, works fine, maybe they are using port 80 or 21.... I don't know.

The LimeWire can't connect automaticly, will I be able to use it connecting to other server/port? or I better give up and desinstall it and forget all about this.

Thanxs

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It might be you are encountering the 'ultra-peer' bug. Try another client maybe? there are many and they all like things a bit differently.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Every connection has TWO endpoints - a source and a destination. While it's true your browser usually connects to web servers on port 80 (though a server can run on any port), that's just the outbound endpoint. The local side of the TCP/IP connection will be on a random port above 1024.

A firewall can block all outbound packets except those to port 80 and web surfing will still work. However try blocking all inbound packets except to port 80 and you'll be in trouble. "Stateful" firewalls keep track of the outbound connections and allow these inbound packets automatically. "Stateless" firewall don't so you have to leave these ranges open for inbound packets.

Also FTP, in particular requires uses inbound connections to higher ports when not in "passive" mode (making it unlikely for an ISP to block these ranges).

Actually, as long as you're not running a web server on your PC you could actually use 80 or some other common port for Gnutella - it'll work just as well and be very hard for an ISP to block.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information