Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Quote Originally Posted by cmitch525 View Post
    If people agree newsgroups are the safest to download from (in regards to RIAA/MPAA) what would be 2nd?
    I don't know......mabye IRC?

It would probably be something that is harder for the average joe to learn than a p2p program like kazaa.

The more popular a network becomes...the more likely it is as a target for the media mafia.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Downloading from newsgroups is about as safe as you can possibly be. The only one who even has any possibility of knowing what you are downloading is the NSP, and they don't care what you download, since it is, after all, coming from their own servers.

Binary newsgroup downloading is entirely different from P2P, which gives out your IP address and your shared files (both shared and downloading) to anyone in the network who asks, inclusing the MPAA and RIAA, who run bots to harvest IP addresses and shared files/folders on everyone using the major P2P networks. Keep in mind that when you download a file in eMule or Bittorrent, you are simultaneously uploading the same file to others. The network wouldn't operate otherwise.

Uploading (posting) to newsgroups is another matter entirely. The NSPs will log uploads to make sure if you are a spammer they can go after you. Uploading to a ISP-run news server (the kind that has about 3 days retention) is not the least bit anonymous, since they keep long-term logs, as well as ISPs do not strip out post-ID headers like paid news providers do.

I've never come across a single story about someone who got arrested or sued for posting a copyrighted file, but it's quite possible. If a poster gets reported, usually the worst thing that happens is that the NSP cancels his posting ability. (Then most banned users just create another account!)

But if you are just a beginner, it's best not to try to post files. Leave that to the experienced users.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    Whats that saying, if something is too good to be true it probably is?

I stick to downloading only from private torrent sites that are not too easy to join. But I always check Newzbin first to see if what I am after is on usenet.

Lokitorrent was not too easy to join either,nor was Elitetorrents! But they STILL were raided. So private torrent sites are not as safe as you may think.

Newsgroups are far safer than even private torrent sites.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Anyone that would tell you that downloading 'stuff' at work is a good idea is an ignorant fool. And anyone that does it deserves what they get.

It's not your computer, it's not your connection. There is no telling what is really going on there in the background. There is all kinds of tools a half decent IT guy can use to see if you're dicking around. If you value your position at all, don't do it. Don't use Usenet, don't use IRC, don't use Kazaa... just don't do it.

I don't think anyone can give you better advice than that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

so whats the view from everyone, can newsgroups stay safe?? or will they get like P2P's are now and bit torrent?

what about this new law in the US, will that include newsgroups being spied on?

im currently in the UK, does anyone know if the laws here are changing so authoritis can spy? it just seems no one will have any privacy

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Anyone that would tell you that downloading 'stuff' at work is a good idea is an ignorant fool. And anyone that does it deserves what they get.

It's not your computer, it's not your connection. There is no telling what is really going on there in the background. There is all kinds of tools a half decent IT guy can use to see if you're dicking around. If you value your position at all, don't do it. Don't use Usenet, don't use IRC, don't use Kazaa... just don't do it.

I don't think anyone can give you better advice than that.

Fair enough. Deep down I knew that already but I was just hoping there was safe way. I better upgrade my home broadband then.

Thanks.

How safe is downloading

you say your friend got an email, but how would paramount know he was downloading films etc as i didn't think they could see what u download?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

techno-wise I'm pretty ignorant in this area, but I was always under the impression that only up-loaders can be caught.

unless you're saying that people who download large amounts of data will be picked on - if so, what about 40D and the new BBC service? (downloading legitimate material)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

thanks for the reply.

so its quite safe, but why do some groups offer 256bit ssl, is this needed and also i've heard of a program caled secure tunnel, is these types of programs needed if just downloading?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How safe is downloading

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Any unencrypted internet traffic can be intercepted by a third party, i.e. your internet provider. Although it is not widely practiced, and is arguably an invasion of privacy.

If you are super paranoid type, the use of SSL can set your worried mind at ease. For the most part it is an unnecessary add on that can bring an Usenet provider a extra source of income (Giganews) or a selling point to get ahead of the competition (Usenetserver).
    SSL is more that that. Many ISPs will throttle traffic on usenet. SSL will encrypt your traffic and in many cases get round ISP restrictions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information