Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnutella newbee

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Yes, but you have to consider two things:
    + wether those users are online at the same time or not
    + wether you can see all those users/data or not

The second thing is, in my opinion, the Gnutella's (and Direct Connect's) biggest problem.

Ivan
    "In the dark we make a brighter light"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Hello!

Believe me Gnutella is by far the biggest P2P network around without any competition atleats user wise.

Here are the stats:

Gnutella:117 million users worldwide(Morpheus client by far dominating with a user base of 90millions)
    Kazaa and other Fast Track clients:81million users worldwide
    AudioGalaxy:30 million users worlwide(Now however AG is to be considered discontinued or out of business)
    Imesh: (own system with centralised servers):27 million Users Worlwide
    Win MX(combination of Napster technology and P2P:3 million users Worldwide
    Direct Connect: (Despite the fact that it is the smallest network it due to the content type of many large movies has the largest amount of data available even more then on Gnutella totally 1petaByte of data available:500000 users Worlwide

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Connect to 8 ultrapeers and that may help

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Ok, Joakim,
    Number of user (Members) on the network sound impressive, But If you take AG they had over 10 Billion songs on line and over 25 billion total songs (offline and other problems) that was only songs. No program or movies. They had over 750 million songs swaped every day!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Where do you have these stats from?
    Gnutella is fully decentralised so its actually quite hard to measure its size....

Gnutella newbee

Hello!

Yes you are correct.But the same is true for AG except for the second one which is Gnutella's biggest disadvantage.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Hello!

Yes it is true that an exact statistical figure is hard to get for Gnutella but also for many of the others.The stats come from Swedens biggest Internet magazine InternetWorld latest issue in which they tested different P2P programs and networks and also asked around on various download sites and also they got info from some various client developers.By the way Direct Connect was choosen as the best network and won the test.Personally I dissagree with that outcome because of the practice that you have to share an outrageous amount of data to get access to the best Hubs some even requires you to have 100GB of data before you can access them and I dont even have a HD that can match that.Its rediculus!

Also it is mainly used for movies for which it is great but for other things it is not so good and that is one of Gnutella's major strenghts that you can access any type of files on it.

Also it is only available for Windows and since I use a Mac I cannot even use it.That is really bad!

Gnutella Rocks!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Of course it is?
    Would I support it if it wasnt?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella newbee

Those stats sound way off. That sounds more like the number of downloads of each of the clients (which include people who download the client and never run it or delete it soon after, people who normally run another client, and then switch over to the other networks from time to time to try to find something else, people who switch from one gnutella client to another, and even various upgrades), not the actual number of users. And your last post seems to back that assumption up.

I can believe that there have been more Gnutella clients downloaded than clients for any other network, but I don't believe that Gnutella is the largest network... not even close... not yet anyway!

P.S.
    Also, the download statistics for Morpheus include the downloads of the original Morpheus while it was still on the FastTrack network.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information