Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    kingofkings123x

Perl, C, ror, or java? ?

In what order should I learn these languages, for a beginner, thanks in advance.
    Well it's really a toss up between networking, and 3d modeling, which ironically have nothing to do with eachother, whwat was your first programing language?

Leinad
    Why do you want to learn programming?

C is the most useful if you want to be a programmer or scientist. Java is popular if you want to program for fun. Personally, I love Perl, it was my second language though, I don't know how good of a first language it would be. And I've never heard of ror, so I recommend against it on the grounds that it's not widely used enough to be practical.

Martin T
    C is the immediate ancestor to Java. It is a marvellous language, but would be the most difficult for a beginner.

Java is C with the awkward bits left out and a some extra features added. It is easier to learn than C, but whichever language you do first, it will help you learn the other one.

Perl is great for manipulating text and is widely used in networking. Most programmers love it or hate it: it has some strange features.

Does ror stand for Ruby on Rails?
    Ruby on Rails consists of the Ruby programming language Ruby and a lot of extra stuff. I explored Ruby briefly a few years ago and liked it very much. It would be far easier for a beginner to learn Ruby than C or Java.or Perl. The only reason I spent very little time with Ruby was that at the time it was hardly used ... I am delighted that it has grown in popularity and I may try and find an excuse to use it again. I think it would probably be good both for networking, and 3d modeling.

feynman_rocks
    C (then you're done).

Well, let me tell you the order in which I learned programming languages. I'll start at the earliest and go to the most recent, after each I'll say '+' I know it well, or '-' learning/know it okay. I'll also say how much I like it. Things on the same line I learned at nearly the same time.

Fortran (+,okay), C++ (+, didn't like)
    Perl (+, good)
    Python (+, great)
    Common Lisp (+/-, Love!)
    Erlang (-, promising)
    Java (+, don't like) C (+, like)
    Haskell(-, cool, promising) Ruby(-, good)

Something like that.

feynman_rocks
    C (then you're done).

Well, let me tell you the order in which I learned programming languages. I'll start at the earliest and go to the most recent, after each I'll say '+' I know it well, or '-' learning/know it okay. I'll also say how much I like it. Things on the same line I learned at nearly the same time.

Fortran (+,okay), C++ (+, didn't like)
    Perl (+, good)
    Python (+, great)
    Common Lisp (+/-, Love!)
    Erlang (-, promising)
    Java (+, don't like) C (+, like)
    Haskell(-, cool, promising) Ruby(-, good)

Something like that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information