Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by hugoblank
    To me a "quality rip" is an oxymoron but then again I don't know what you mean by AFR.
    AFR stands for Advanced Filesize Regulation, which is a recent DVD-rip standard that relaxes the traditional 700MB file size standard, so you can burn several of these AFR files onto a DVD-R without having empty space left over. I don't think AFR is used outside of the hardcore ED2K community.

I just realized that this month marks my eight-year anniversary since I began using edonkey.
    (But since SR, SC, PD101/DD and SL shut down, I've largely dropped out of the ed2k 'scene')

When Bittorrent started getting popular, I rarely used it, since I could use newsgroups for big files (and fast downloads) and recent and popular material, and I used ED2K for all the rest. Over the past 4 or 5 years, ED2K has declined, while Bittorrent and usenet have grown tremendously in both popularity and available material. And then "one-click" file hosting sites like Rapidshare have literally exploded.

As far as releasing files go, I somehow always seemed to feel safer releasing files on ED2K than posting them on usenet. When releasing on ed2k, it's easy to just share the file for a day or so, then unshare it and move on to something else. With Usenet, though, I was always aware that I was identifiable from the article header info, which remained for as long as the file was available. With ed2k releases, it was very easy to disappear into the crowd (and then out of the crowd), making it difficult for any possible investigator to figure out who the original releaser actually was.

Another thing is that some for-pay NSPs (warning to all Highwinds users!) mark every post of an account with a unique code, making it possible for anyone to trace all your posts (and find every post you ever made) regardless of how many times you changed your details such as name, email, or IP address.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

There not uncapped, your ISP could throttle you any time It's not unlimited for anyone, you have to pay for the unlimited service or block. You missed the MAJOR con, it's PAY FOR

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

P2P is still good, you just have to know were to look...I have two great ed2k sites and one or two torrent sites that have just as much as Newsgroups do.
    thats a joke right ? if you think p2p has the content of usenet your not looking hard enough

Pros and Cons of Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Every thing you mentioned is right on; I've said this before and will repeat it now, torrents are for 'little kiddies'. Why, you ask?""
    It's funny I was going to say that torrent/P2P advocates are for peeps, noobs, adolescents, children, cavemen ("its so easy even a...") also, but I didn't (until just now).

I'm really not ANTI-torrent. I will occasssionaly d/l a torrent. I just don't think that the folks that are so militant about the superiority of torrents have any real experience with usenet.

The real reason the torrent folks don't like usenet is not because its not free, its because you have to have a little gray matter between your ears in order to appreciate it. Irc is free. I bet the torrent advocates don't even know how to spell irc.

Hey if you don't mind begging, and dancing around and jumping thru hoops to get to all these private torrent tracker sites that want you to believe they own the scene, thats cool.

I just wonder if the folks know where the real source of the scene releases are. Do you all think its torrents, usenet, irc or other?

Regards,
    Hugo

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

It costs $$ :P

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post

thats a joke right ? if you think p2p has the content of usenet your not looking hard enough
    No it's not a joke.....why not try visiting some other sites....like for instance, I would rather have www.fileheaven.org over any site and the content movie wise will, well smoke whatever your thinking. I can get exactly the same stuff from p2p and trusted sources....so it's maybe you who's not looking hard enuff :whistling Don't believe me, use Google :ermm: Maybe you should use something else besides Ares?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

Thanks Zot for the info about AFR.

I think you make a good point about the "flexibility" a P2P poster has and the more permanent nature of usenet postings and security. I think (hope) that usenet is not under as much scrutiny as P2P is right now.

I think that originally P2P was targeted at a mass market of folks that either thought that usenet was too complicated or were new to the whole thing. And since that time P2P operators have tried to be more discriminating, i.e. private sites, etc. I think that this change is related to security issues more than it has to do with sharing ratios and leeching concerns.

Ironically. a few posts before this one, someone was boasting about the the millions and millions of ED2K users. It seems to me that it would be easier and more fruitful to "go after" the millions and millions of those folks, than to bother with the thousands and thousands of others.

For me, outside of what I see as the pro's of usenet, I think there is an advantage to not being apart of the millions and millions who sign up for the "simple, anyone can do it" plan.

IRC and Usenet have been around for a really long time and I think there's a reason for that. Kazaa, and other P2P's haven't survived long at all and, there's a reason for that too.

Regards,

Hugo

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

pro

can download a full 50GB BD in one Day, love it

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

CON: Costs $$$

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pros and Cons of Usenet

@hugoblank

It's not like eDonkey doesn't have classic movies, there's plenty of japanese CC content available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information