Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's the purpose of forced thank you post ?

I was looking for a quite rare nzb, so I landed on united-forum.com a few minutes ago. It is pretty much the same as FST here, but one of the differences is that the site requires users to post a reply to be able to download the nzb. I just copy and paste the first post over and over again. lol. But anyway, does anyone know why they want to force user to post like that (beside clogging up the forum)? What's the rationale behind that?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here;s my view:

• So the posters know whose interested in the posts and feel loved by the "thx"

• get activity on the forum.

Its a pain in the ass because you cant have a discussion about quality of the release.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

get activity on the forum.
    Agree with this, you can install a Thanks button for the rest.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

At merlins-portal it works more or less as a counter of the hits the release got.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's pretty much a way to falsely boost activity statistics in order to make a forum seem more active than it really is so that it is attractive to potential members and advertisers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a good manners reminder?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy2 View Post
    Maybe a good manners reminder?

We used to have a "Must post thank you to download NZB" policy as well, and it was for that same reason (good manners). We did not do it to boost forum statistics, that would just be pointless.
    The reason we stopped it was because the thanks were getting in the way of actual legitimate comments or question about an NZB, and later we installed the thank you button and banned the phrase 'thank you'. :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There may be sites that legitimately want users to thank the posters, but I know many sites that end up taking it too far. Many put passwords on sections where you can only get the password by voting on one of those "top ____ site" websites, you have to post thank you on more than half the sections just to view the posts, click through countless ads, etc. etc. and the forum just becomes on giant chore to even minimally use.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post

We used to have a "Must post thank you to download NZB" policy as well, and it was for that same reason (good manners). We did not do it to boost forum statistics, that would just be pointless.
    The reason we stopped it was because the thanks were getting in the way of actual legitimate comments or question about an NZB, and later we installed the thank you button and banned the phrase 'thank you'. :lol:
    Oh god, that was so annoying, +1, ty, ta, thankx, thanks, thank ya, ah, tah, , son of a bitch :lol:

Forcing user to say thanks is a "good mannered type thing"...I believe we have a thread on this somewhere.

But tbh, if I find a site and I'm forced to say thanks, I will not even bother....because I notice sites like that get NO comments about the file in questions, just a bunch of thanks.

I think people who also see the forced thank yous go to another site were they can leech for free and remain anonymous....most P2P/people who frequent sites like this (at least half) would rather stay anonymous and not even say thanks or post, except for like the mandatory 2 posts to get privs....I think that is more towards the BT section (which I been in maybe 5 times :lol: ) Now there are some users here who won't post but they will say thanks all day, we got quite a few who do that, and only post if something is wrong, which is very well mannered person and appreciates what staff/uploaders/finders do here , I don't know why so many people are so afraid of thanks button.....it's not forced, and helps us know what content is worth keeping or even worth messing with, If I see a TV show that's been up for a week and no thanks, I won't even bother posting that show anymore, it helps in that way very much.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post

Oh god, that was so annoying, +1, ty, ta, thankx, thanks, thank ya, ah, tah, , son of a bitch :lol:

Forcing user to say thanks is a "good mannered type thing"...I believe we have a thread on this somewhere.

But tbh, if I find a site and I'm forced to say thanks, I will not even bother....because I notice sites like that get NO comments about the file in questions, just a bunch of thanks.

I think people who also see the forced thank yous go to another site were they can leech for free and remain anonymous....most P2P/people who frequent sites like this (at least half) would rather stay anonymous and not even say thanks or post, except for like the mandatory 2 posts to get privs....I think that is more towards the BT section (which I been in maybe 5 times :lol: ) Now there are some users here who won't post but they will say thanks all day, we got quite a few who do that, and only post if something is wrong, which is very well mannered person and appreciates what staff/uploaders/finders do here , I don't know why so many people are so afraid of thanks button.....it's not forced, and helps us know what content is worth keeping or even worth messing with, If I see a TV show that's been up for a week and no thanks, I won't even bother posting that show anymore, it helps in that way very much.
    That's right. That is another reason we got rid of the forced thank yous. It's also the reason we stopped showing who downloads what... we respect people's privacy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information