Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Announcement for Giganews and NewsDemon Users, Please Read

This whole affair is rather silly, although, like dog vomit, it catches your attention.

I 'say', to each their own.

I use:

astraweb (~11 USD/mo, I paid slightly more, my mistake)
    Rapidshare Premium (~24.50 USD, purchased enough 'rapids' to last 1 1/2 years)
    Private Trackers + μtorrent (Totally free)

This provides everything I want. I am content. I am also more than content to let others use as they choose. I do not assert superiority or inferiority as I really do not know. I simply purchased what I purchased, the next person could do it differently and enjoy it as a better value.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I'm saying you're full of shit because not one person has been able to name a show that I cannot download. No one. Old, new, or ancient fucking history.
    I don't know if this topic only applies to HBO/SHO shows with articles/files missing and *non-completable* on Giganews, or other files missing on Giganews. It's already been pointed out (on other FST discussion threads) that there are files that won't complete on Giganews and can't be fixed using pars.

To name one example: how about Newzbin Report #5670754 ?

Skiz, Please try getting that one from Giganews before you continue your argument that Giganews is being unjustly criticized.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by c0ld View Post
    Took you long enough to get the hint. Please don't come back.
    :glag:

Take a note here kids:

Never admit you're wrong. If in a proper discussion, cut/paste and answer only the very weakest part of your "opponent's" arguments, thus "pwning" him/her.

@RainmakerRaw - You'd be doing yourself a favor to ignore her like most of the board does. She's a twat with sand in her twat.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does the included VPN justify the $30/month Diamond plan though? I've never used VyperVPN but I hear decent VPNs do wonders when just browsing the internet in general. Giganews is apparently also offering this new Usenet browser thing, though I think that's just a dinky little feature that no one would really use. But I just cancelled my NewsDemon plan (I've had issues where ~400 day old files were very broken and I've had the issue this post is referring to many a time and it's gotten to the point where I just want to cancel) and I'll have no service on July 29th or 30th and I would like some advice. Are VPNs really worth it? If they are, is VyperVPN any good? If I were to go to Astraweb, what VPN would you recommend (if at all) that is relatively inexpensive but high quality? I'd appreciate any answers and help :-)

This is coming from a relatively n00bish person, but I do understand the basics of Usenet.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    Really?Thats interesting
    I cant find it on this newzbin report example.. Are u quite sure?
    Why are you looking there? Reading text newsgroups is a long lost skill I guess.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh look, Skiz is here to whiteknight a fellow Giganews mug, again. RainmakerRaw probably just made a couple of support tickets here to ask for help.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post

Heh, all these years I just figured Astra was EU based. Ah well.
    Astraweb's home office is in Singapore, and their server farms are located in San Diego and Amsterdam. I think the company is also still registered in Singapore, although this could easily change. (Usenet-news.net, owned by a Swede, has changed its official ("on paper") country of domicile several times already)

I can understand the confusion though. It's been a long time since Astraweb displayed their mailing address on the website. Although not operating under US DMCA law, Singapore is no pushover when it comes to copyright enforcement. The country has often been described as a police state with very tough laws in general, and I seem to recall one or two people even going to jail for ordinary file sharing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

is the message-id of a text article in 'giganews.general' where Philip Molter, CTO of Giganews, says that some articles were removed due to a DMCA takedown request.

Brix L

You herd wrong then, they just hide your traffic, but come with an overhead.

what VPN would you recommend (if at all) that is relatively inexpensive but high quality?
    Any? They only cost a few dollars. Get one close to you if you want speed, or in another countries if you want some minor increase in protection from prosecution. Relakks? Hell, get your own virtual server and set up your own vpn, less chance of being blocked then.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Or did I misunderstand you?
    Nope. We understood each other perfectly well =)
    I justed wanted to share all the information on the subject i had so no question would be asked considering the details of the test

PS Kinda stupid way to DMCA stuff posted on usenet, but , hey, im not complaining at all lol
    Wish they keep doing it this way =))

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information