Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ensisoft releases Newsflash Plus 3.3.1

Thank you for making this client, it's great.

But one thing I'm missing is grouping of the download, similar to alt.binz

Either way, thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maphongbax View Post
    I thought it was only free for linux. Do you intend to keep the program free permanently ?
    Yes.

It seems that it doesn't disconnect anymore so I guess the problem is solved

I'm kinda starting to like that newznab thingy too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Sami ,have been testing it for couple days now and

1.Amazing what a man with a coding skill can do

2.Sami,you got the only good free program that handles headers,very good indeed!
    even altbinz can not do that because he dont have the skills.

3.change name to sami the headerbinzer,name newsflash plus is not my cup of tea
    was name newsflash taken(irony) flash is fast but with a plus does it go faster than speed of light
    yes, im ranting but you got a great program so,why not a better name.

couple points i want to make, its was first very confusing how to manage headers.
    and also to limit the header downloading is in %,but now when i got hang of it i like it.

using words like flush,expunge,boost,prefer secure,yield,clone is also little bit confusing.

use of search/newsnab,open nbz tabs must be better explained.
    (search shows only old files)

here is faster par: http://paulhoule.com/phpar2/index.php or
    http://www.chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/download.html

reqs:

a start button before pause

a button go to downloads folder

when adding a server: enable disable server and max conn per server

RSS-feed import,(if this is done there is no other programs that is better out there!)

adding search by https://www.nzbindex.com/ and https://www.binsearch.info/

bugs: it doesent del dl rars and pars?

help - protocol c not supported

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by executioner View Post
    Looks good, any chance of getting a speed limiter on this please
    I limit my speed by using fewer connections.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Loving it so far. Tried a few others but always went back to Alt.Binz mostly because they had issues when downloading large collections.

ETA on files are nice but I would want to see ETA on the total., or at least on each release/"NZB".
    Is it possible to get it to show all the files under the NZB name in the downloads window so you can show/hide the list of file names (like Alt.Binz)? It's a bit hard to see what release is finished etc.
    ETA/speed on taskbar would be nice.

"Yield", "Clone", "Delete Connection" and "Flush" does what?

It doesn't seem to automatically sort after date or whatever when you refresh RSS, you have to click on date to get it to sort it (yeah I'm lazy).

A really dark theme would be nice (good old terminal green on black maybe:P)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Duron View Post

Can you explain this please? I thought newznab is supposed to be a web based service not in a newsreader?
    Newznab is a server side service. It is a a set of automated scripts to build a NZB index using headers. But it also it comes with a web frontend so you can easily run it as a web site similar to nzbs.org. But on top of that it specifies an external API for for applications doing searches against the index over HTTP. In other words Newsflash can run searches against Newznab indexing sites. The search performs on the server, search response comes back to the application which displays it. When an item is being downloaded the NZB content is also fetched from the server.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback guys. Most people just don't bother to provide any feedback and as a single developer without the resources to do usability studies etc. so developing end user friendly software is difficult.

@zot - Yes server priorization is on the list potentially, just got few things to sort out. I.e. it's easy to get it working for NZB based downloading (RSS feed/Search/NZB files) but for headers it is trickier. Anyway it won't make the coming 3.3.0 release.

@stillwaiting - Thanks for the phpar2 link.

Can you clarify what RSS feed are you referring to and what does importing mean in this context?

it doesent del dl rars and pars?
    Yep, although this is more like an unimplemented feature though. Easy enough to do with the embedded python.

help - protocol c not supported
    Sorry, can you clarify what does this mean?

Thanks guys!

br,
    ensi

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those who know me personally know how much I rant about crappy software. IMHO there's no excuse for it. But software is a difficult undertaking and bugs happen.

I also think there would be a lot more user response if there was a public discussion forum for talking about Newsflash and reporting bugs. I always try to see if other people have already discussed an issue before starting a new topic. With sending a email or PM directly to the developer, there's no way to know if the same problem has already been reported a hundred times before.
    That's a very nice approach. However I think that for a lot of people posting and issue on a forum that requires registration etc. requires too many steps. I know I'm quilty of this. So therefore using an email or the built-in feedback system is ok with me.

But yeah.. I started a forum which you can find here http://www.ensisoft.com/forum It will probably always remain empty cause getting some discussion would require some actual users hahaha Let me know if you want to move the discussion over there.

But back on topic...........

As for the deletion bug: I had paused the downloading files, but because I did not see the PAR2 files (since they were out of sight below the edge of the window in the download pane) I did not pause the pars and they continued to download. Only the pars were downloaded, not any other files (which were all paused). Once the pars downloaded, Newsflash performed a parity check (on the non-existent files), reported a failure, and then deleted all the par files.
    FIXED in the next release! Thanks for reporting that was nasty.

That brings up another point: pausing and resuming a download

If I need to suddenly pause all downloads and close all connections, Newsflash requires a series of mouse-clicks and scroll actions to accomplish this. In recent years it seems it's become a kind of universal standard on various P2P and NZB clients to have a "kill switch" on the upper left corner of the GUI - where Newsflash's existing "pause" button sits. But Newsflash's "pause" button only pauses the previously highlighted file/rar being downloaded --not the entire set- so then the next file in the queue will automatically start downloading when the current one is paused. It's a very convenient feature to have a button to open and close all connections to the server in one click - and many other applications do this.

So I'd like to suggest a one-click "kill-all-connections" -switch/"resume-all connections" -switch. Similar to Emule and Altbinz.

A tiny issue:
    Newsflash's default port setting for "Secure Server (SSL)" is 443, rather than the standard SSL port 563.
    Hmm.. I guess that makes sense in some volatile circumstances like leeching at work As for pausing... Ctrl+A to select all and then click Pause (or hit Ctrl+P)

Anyway.. new version coming this weekend. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the input as always.

-ensi

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    It seems that it doesn't disconnect anymore so I guess the problem is solved

I'm kinda starting to like that newznab thingy too.
    If you don't mind.. please replicate the problem and send me a complete connection log so I can give a shot at figuring out what's the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information