Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ensisoft releases Newsflash Plus 3.3.1

You truly have taken a big task to code a usefull usenet client by yourself ,once again kudos for that

Zot,you are spot on, i do like a client that can dl headers and also uses a search indexing sites to create and import nzbs.

you should see how Unzbin client(http://www.unzbin.com/) handles custom rss-feeds from search engines like nzbindex.com or binsearch.info
    exmpel:http://rss.binsearch.net/rss.php?max...lt.binaries.tv it also have a auto-download feature.

about rars and pars: yes,there should be auto delete box for those files

bug: when i click on help? firefox popup (Firefox doesn't know how to open this address,
    because the protocol (c) isn't associated with any program).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cimithan View Post
    Segfault on linux (ArchLinux):

./newsflash.sh
    QCoreApplication:ostEvent: Unexpected null receiver
    WARNING: Cannot find Mozilla directory containing libgtkembedmoz.so. Some Addins may not be able to function. Please set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to your Mozilla directory.
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

newsflash[5626]: segfault at 1ad ip b6afff62 sp bf83aa40 error 4 in libQtCore.so.4.6.3[b69ae000+266000]
    Binary distribution on Linux is a bitch. Works on 9.04 Ubuntu though. :whistling

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloaded now so going to test right away.

I have some issues though (the previous version that is):
    [18:20:51:214] critical error:connection timeout
    [18:20:51:214] thread exiting now!

I have no idea why it is disconnecting as everything else is fine. Iv'e also had Alt.Binz up and running at the same time to see if it disconnects and it doesn't.
    Sometimes it disconnects only a few of the connections that is in use.

The biggest problem with this is that it doesn't make any new connections when a new NZB file is loaded so the program just sits there all day with a bunch of connections not working till I'm home from work and give it a kick in the nuts. I guess that it doesn't use more connections than you specify in options even though half/all of them are dead?
    Hmm.. correct it's not spawning more connections even though some are dead. Not sure if it should. You could classify this as a kind of a bug.

However I'm more interested in why the connections are dying. Can you send me a full log for a single connection when it b0rks so I can have a look. (You can send it through the Feedback/Report bug tool as a attachment)

Thanks for reporting.

-ensi

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Newsflash Plus 3.3.0 has been released. This is basically the first 3.3.0 non-beta version.

If you're on 3.3.0b7 there's no real need to update since there's only one additional bug fix and it's not visible at user level anyway.

I'm going to start working towards 3.4.0 version which will incorporate some of the requested features. Probably coming up, batch mode download list viewing, additional ETA counters, new Qt version, new and faster par, downloading par2 files only when needed and also possibly server priorization/backup server use and of course a bunch of smaller features. I'll see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Now that I used it for some time I have a few things that really needs to be fixed:

Watched folders:

I guess you mean after it's processed and the contents being downloaded?

UI:
    Group downloads in the downloads window. I get a headache when I have 20+ blu-ray ISO releases in that list and I want to increase priority on something and have to browse through..... yeah you get the idea
    Yea, I can see this. I'm working on the batch viewing mode for this.

The repair tab gives me 2 problems: It's nice as a log, but it fails to show me the status of all the downloaded releases (witch maybe should be shown as in Alt.Binz where it is displayed on the NZB/release it has downloaded) if the releases are big. When the program extracts, and if it fails it just screams and run off and let the folder be a complete mess. The log usually just shows the last release and then I can just delete the partially unpacked stuff myself.
    An option to delete crap that are not repairable would be nice, and the program needs to tell you that it failed too.
    Guess you're asking for a repair log that shows repair status for each release? The repairs are also logged in the application log.

There should be 2 timers here. One countdown for the total download list and one countdown for each release.
    cheers,

-ensi

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I used it for some time I have a few things that really needs to be fixed:

Watched folders:

There should be an option to select where it should dump the imported NZB file.
    UI:
    Group downloads in the downloads window. I get a headache when I have 20+ blu-ray ISO releases in that list and I want to increase priority on something and have to browse through..... yeah you get the idea
    The repair tab gives me 2 problems: It's nice as a log, but it fails to show me the status of all the downloaded releases (witch maybe should be shown as in Alt.Binz where it is displayed on the NZB/release it has downloaded) if the releases are big. When the program extracts, and if it fails it just screams and run off and let the folder be a complete mess. The log usually just shows the last release and then I can just delete the partially unpacked stuff myself.
    An option to delete crap that are not repairable would be nice, and the program needs to tell you that it failed too.
    There should be 2 timers here. One countdown for the total download list and one countdown for each release.
    That will be $5/issue fixed in donations as long as the grouping stuff is in (maybe a postcard for Xmas too).

I really like this program because it handles massive downloads so well and I just hate the authentication stuff in Alt.Binz. The newznab thingy is also something I really appreciate.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by ensisoft View Post
    Guess you're asking for a repair log that shows repair status for each release? The repairs are also logged in the application log.
    Kind of. It could be as simple as showing me the release name in red txt (or maybe a FBI warning:naughty so I know. Then I don't have to read the log unless I need info on the failed download/repair/extract.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since I've destroyed a few hard drives downloading, a disk caching feature is something I welcome in a client. For instance, Unzbin has a simple MB memory-cache amount setting, and Usenet Explorer has an option to store and decode articles completely in memory and so only write out the finished rar file to disk.

Basically, anything to keep the hard drive from constantly thrashing as it downloads. (some of the older newsreaders and P2P clients would thrash drives even downloading at dialup speed, and so wear out hard disks with only a few GB downloaded, at least in my experience)

I would agree that Altbinz has a nice download page layout, with all the stats and groupings laid out in an easy-to-read manner.

For header layout, I liked the way that NewsReactor grouped its headers into rars and then grouped all rars in a release into a single title. Simple but effective.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

I have released Newsflash Plus 3.3.0b6 (yes beta6). This version will be quite close to the final release which will come in sync with the first Newznab release. This version includes some 20 odd fixes and a few small enhancements.

@stillwaiting
    I've added a script for deleting all .par2 and .rar files after successful repair. One can now enable/disable this feature in settings. Also I've fixed the help bug you reported. Thanks for reporting.

About Usenet indexing and searching. I am not going support search for different sites with each one of them having different APIs and response feeds (such as binsearch.info, nzbmatrix.org, nzbs.org etc) because this would be too tedious.
    What I am going to support however is the FREE INDEXING SERVICE called Newznab (www.newznab.com). However please do note that the currently Newznab is still under development and the first official release is coming out soonish. So hopefully in the future sites running Newznab will provide enough searching potential to cater for most needs. Additionally the Newznab WEB API is well documented and provides a simple API even for all clients to use (afaik Sickbeard is doing integration).

For other searching purposes and automation it's easy to have Newsflash Plus watch a group of folders for .nzb files and then just save the .nzb files in those folders with the browser etc. and have the application pick them up for downloading on the background.

Thank you all.

- ensi

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have updated the thread's title to reflect the current build.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Since I've destroyed a few hard drives downloading, a disk caching feature is something I welcome in a client. For instance, Unzbin has a simple MB memory-cache amount setting, and Usenet Explorer has an option to store and decode articles completely in memory and so only write out the finished rar file to disk.
    Newsflash has a setting for setting max file size for in memory decoding. When a binary is decoded in memory all the data is kept in memory untill it's complete and is then written to disk in one go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information