Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did You Know There's An OpenSource Alternative Client?

Quote Originally Posted by DasFox View Post
    I said the option is being removed.
    Either I failed to spot that or didn't notice your edit! :happy:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've searched high and low and like most in the beginning before this search began I was one of the many sheep that just followed uTorrent.

The thing is uTorrent is proprietary and I wonder if many people using this piece of software or any other proprietary software program really know what that means?

The truth is with any piece of proprietary software, especially something like this, you don't really know how secure you are, after all you'll never see the source code and you have to TRUST the company, or developer making it telling you that you are safe.

Now honestly people, given that most of you are downloading illegal software and copyrighted music and movies off of Bittorrent are you really going to put your trust in someone's hands in a situation like this? :wacko:

Funny thing is most people are, because they do it because they didn't realize there were any other choices, or at least choices they like. Also they use the program thinking everyone else is and if it's a problem they think they're going to hear some public out cry about it, well guess again, things happen all the time quietly behind the scene no one ever hears about.

Well now you have a few choices if you didn't realize you did that is OpenSource, meaning the CODE is open and free for anyone to look at and develop themselves.

Proprietary, are you really going to take a chance and trust yourself with it for P2P? I don't know about you but I'm not.

Check them out you'll be happy you did, I am!

Now if you think this all sounds wacked out then stroll over to the Free Software Foundation and see what they have to say about Proprietary and safety!

http://www.fsf.org/

Here's one example of Skype and this issue of Proprietary software.

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priorit...ypereplacement

This post is strictly about Open-Source Bittorrent ONLY clients and that is why Vuze is not listed. This is about REAL clients that don't support the corporate pigs Apple & M$ to name a few that Vuze do!

Here's a list of open-source clients: (qBittorrent looks the most impressive)

http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/
    http://deluge-torrent.org/
    http://www.binarynotions.com/halite-bittorrent-client

Someone is building Transmission for Windows:
    https://forum.transmissionbt.com/vie...tart=15#p37848

PEACE

P.S. PLEASE KEEP THIS BUMPED TO EDUCATE OTHERS!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Am I the only one that see's the irony here? You are worried about the security of your bt client but are downloading from a public tracker. That's like buying a condom but forgetting to put it on

You're missing the point! ---> DON'T STAND OUT IN THE OPEN SO MUCH!

Don't be such sheep running out in the open using everything that everyone typically uses thinking you are safe.

You don't need to know what the heck open-source is and the code, because typically in most open-source projects there are going to be a lot of people who know the code. Now you could argue, well that gets down to who I trust, so what I'll say is don't be ridiculous and I don't mean to be rude, but no one in their right mind is going to put an exploit in open-source software and peddle it.
    :lol: Paranoid much? Dude I get that this is your own personal view but to me it sounds like you are kind of pushing your overly paranoid position down our throats a bit. You still haven't shown why we should trust the Sourceforge boys more than the utorrent gang.

Sheep you say. Now that's more than just a little insulting. I mean are you some super security guru in your spare time? I find a product, it's good, I use it. Thats it. I am happy with my current BT software and trust in the security of it, that makes me a sheep?? As I said, if "they" want to get you, you will get GOT! You need to lighten up a bit and maybe get outside for a while pal. Good luck with that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What about Halite? It's also open source, and C++ based, instead of Deluge's GTK.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an interesting news post on the PeerGuardian forums I just noticed today.

TBH, I thought the whole PeerGuardian thing was dead as a doornail, but I guess they're still alive. I haven't seen a new non-beta release for years. (Same story with PeerBlock, which, coincidentally, is a branch from PeerGuardian.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Azureus is open source as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vuze (formerly Azureus) is not complete 100% open-source it is only partial.
    The client software is open source. The Vuze platform crap can be simply turned off. If you use Vuze in classic mode you have a 100% open source software.

?|/|?|2?ªM?

One final post about Azureus/Vuze that should answer all questions:

For the "I don't like Vuze" crowd

A mini FAQ for those of you who keep sending the same messages in our forums repeatedly.

Do I have to use the Vuze interface?

NO. It's optional. You can get Azureus to start up with the "classic UI", and none of the Vuze interface code will be loaded at all. Just to repeat ourselves again - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THE VUZE INTERFACE. Read about the UI Switcher

I don't like the Vuze interface!

Then don't use it. Remember, it's optional!

You shouldn't force people to use Vuze

I agree. Which is why we don't, it's optional.

Can't you distribute a version of Azureus without Vuze?

Technically, yes we can. Will we? No. There's no reason to. Like we've said before - you can use Azureus, without any Vuze code loaded at all if you don't want it.
    Do you use the LAN peer finder? Inbuilt tracker? The "download basket"? Download bars? Statistics generation?
    If you don't, then you can disable it and it doesn't get used. Like the Vuze interface. We wouldn't release different versions of Azureus with these things included or excluded. We're not going to do it with the Vuze interface either.
    We've made it so you don't have to use Vuze, since we realize not everyone wants to use it. So given that you aren't forced to use Vuze in any way... why should we create another version with it included or not? That's just more work for us with no benefit.

Yeah yeah yeah, but couldn't you just distribute a version anyway?

Yes we could, but we aren't going to, because then people will think there really is a reason to have two different versions even though we've said that there isn't, which then cause even more confusion. Whereas if people were to just read this FAQ, and understand they don't have to use Vuze at all, then that would be more straight-forward.

So you're not going to do separate versions for commercial reasons?

No - we're not going to release separate versions because there's absolutely no advantage for us or for users. Users can avoid using the Vuze UI if they want to.

What harm would it do to have separate versions to make everyone happy?

If we have to distribute separate versions, then we've have to build separate installs. And then we have two upgrade mechanisms that we have to handle.
    And then our work wouldn't end there. There would be two separate code versions. And then people would say "Why does Vuze identify itself as Azureus". And so then we would have to change that code so that identifies itself differently, which may mean actually forking the code. And then people will say "Why do the Azureus devs say that Vuze uses the same core as Azureus if they release it differently and it identifies itself differently"?
    So, no. It means more work for us, has no advantage for users, and has no advantage for us. All we would do is cater for the misinformed user, and then it creates even more misunderstanding as well as more work for us in future. Instead of doing all that, we'll just point those users to this FAQ. Especially to the first point made here.
    If you can point out a valid reason why there should be separate versions, rather than just getting the user to change their interface (and living happily ever after), then maybe we'll do it (we'll certainly discuss it). We've yet to hear one.

Can't you just put all the Vuze UI code into a separate file?

Technically, yes. However, that means that whenever we want to send out updates, you have the potential for breaking the interface. The Vuze UI needs to be kept in sync with the Azureus core code itself - and if they get out of sync, you'll end up with a broken interface (which you might not be able to resolve without installing). That's the same reason why we don't (and wouldn't) distribute the classic user interface separately.

This goes against the FOSS and Sourceforge philosophy!

No it doesn't. Sourceforge is meant for open source projects - which Azureus is (and always has been). Same with the Vuze code.
    The 'F' in FOSS stands for "Free". Which, again, Azureus is - you're free to modify it. It's also "free as in beer", so you don't have to pay for it.

blah blah corporate blah

Whatever. If there's some supposed ethical or political reason why you don't want to use Vuze, fine - don't. You're not forced to.

You just don't understand the P2P community and you don't listen to users

We understand that a lot of you won't want to use something like Vuze. Hence, we're not forcing you to use it, nor are we dropping support for the Azureus 2 interface.
    If we really wanted to force the Vuze interface on everyone, then we could have done. Removed the original interface or refused to continue development on it. We've done neither.

Vuze developers should leave Azureus alone!

The people working on Vuze are the same people working on Azureus. We've got no interest in removing all the work that we had put in for the classic UI and main Azureus core (which we've worked on for several years in our own free time without being paid for it).
    So now some of those developers (who do have families to look after, thanks) get paid for their work, while being able to spend more time working on Azureus (as well as Vuze). Is that a bad thing?
    Oh, and some of us still volunteer our time to Azureus for free.

Doesn't matter, I've got a modified version which doesn't include the Vuze code!

Which would work exactly the same as if you used if you had used our normal version. Oh well.
    The reason why it is relatively straight forward to take out the Vuze code is because we deliberately coded that way - the existing core doesn't have any dependencies on the Vuze UI at all. You don't even have to modify the code. We've even pointed out how you can do it if you really want. But it isn't something we are going to do, for various reasons explained above.
    Oh, and I do hope your modified version is running the source code you think it is, rather than including some malicious code...

Doesn't including the Vuze UI even if I don't want it make Azureus more bloated?

Does it use up more CPU? No. Does it use up more memory? No.
    The only difference there is that the JAR file containing all the class files is bigger - probably in the region of 3 or 4 MB (at most).

Bloat bloat bloat bloat...

We've heard the argument that all these changes make things more bloated. To quote this forum post:
    I've noticed for a long time that there are always some users who love to scream until their vocal cords bleed about "bloat". Typically, they define "bloat" as "Features I don't use". These same users are always in forums requesting tweaks and new features to their pet software. Their sense of entitlement is greatly stroked when such tweaks and features are added.
    But when features are added that they DIDN'T ask for, well that's "bloat". The reasons for the changes don't matter. The other users don't matter. The overall health of the project doesn't matter. And it doesn't matter if the screamers can simply ignore the new features and use the software the way they always have, unimpeded. There is no appeasement other than a total acquiescence to the demands of the screamers. "REMOVE IT!" "MAKE A SPECIAL BUILD FOR ME!" "STOP SELLING OUT TO THE MAN!" "LISTEN TO YOUR USERS! (i.e. 'me').
    The point that we can't make enough... if you don't like the new interface or the new features - you don't have to use it. Just because you may not choose to use something, it doesn't mean that other users won't. And if new features don't get in your way, then how does it really cause a problem?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Azureus is open source as well.
    Vuze might be open-soruce but one thing it does it intermingle with other proprietary applications which try to control and strip away people's computer rights! :angry:

Vuze is also not just a bittorrent client but more akin to a one size fits all multimedia and file sharing application.

This post is strictly about Open-Source Bittorrent ONLY clients and Vuze falls short in that category as a Bittorrent ONLY client.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information