Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    wow

Do some intersection lights sense flashing car lights?

My friend always flashes his bright lights at this slow turn signal light in my town whenever it's dark. He says that the intersection lights don't sense that you're there unless you flash your brights sometimes. I think he's a moron?

Is he right or am I the moron????

Chase R
    he is a moron, the lights are controlled by a sensors lined in the pavement, sometime if you look at the place where you stop at a red light you can see these lines in the spot where you stop, this is what triggers the light to change

ChicagoFire
    wtf..that's new..he's a Moron not you definetly

Rex K
    Some Police & Firemen have the tools on-board to effect traffice lights. I think your friend is the moron.

lisa200068
    yes it does work on some lights

Sui Generis
    It all depends on where you live.

They were quite common in California, for example, and I would often flash my lights in rapid succession to get them to change (great way to get a ticket). In Florida, however, the state never bought into the technology, so they're nowhere to be found.

The reason that flashing lights make them change is because they think an emergency vehicle is approaching. Sounds like a great idea, but too many people (like me) caught on and took advantage of it, so it's being quickly replaced by on-board transponders found within the emergency vehicle itself. Other states are switching to a more "intelligent" sensor that only sences high powered strobe lights that flash at a fixed frequency.

Depending on where you live, you may have noticed police, fire, and medical vehicles flashing bright, white lights over the last two years or so. That means you've got light sensors in your area, but flashing your regular headlights the way I once did won't work, anymore. Gone are the good old day of short-live red lights.

In the end, your friend was half right.

flufffax
    it's nice too see how many nice people answered this question..MOR..ON..S..THIS LATER...

tomtomadair
    He's the moron. The only sensors that intersection stop lights have an underneath the road and are weight sensors. Go ahead and tell him how dumb he is.

Mr. Goodkat
    He is a moron. The intersections use sensors in the road to tell if a car is there or not.

lestatsville
    moron!
    most intersections have one of two different means of vehicle detection, metal detector or pressure pad in the ground under the pavement. that's why you see lines in the pavement at the stop area. others have headlight beam detectors but those are being replaced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information