I got screwed believing a WalMart collector over a debt, and my '$900 payoff in 6 months' plan turned into $2100 since I did not have it in writing. Well, lesson learned. I refused to pay all those extra fees and nearly 30% interest. Now, Nationwide creditor has my account. The bill is now $4500. They will settle for $900. I do not dispute the fact I owe, it is how much. I am willing to pay this amount no problem. However, the 'settlement letter' was faxed to me with NO SIGNATURE and NO name of the rep making this deal. Also, the letter is not dated, the only proof of date is above on the fax printout. And, my name isn't even on this letter except at the bottom stub I am to send in. Will this hold up as proof? Also, the letter says they agree to settle for $900. However, below is the portion I am supposed to send with payment. This says in a box -- balance due: $4500. Then the next line says Amount Enclosed ____. No where on the stub is the settlement amount. I am worried that if I send anything in, they will still try to collect on the 'balance due'. Also, they want the money by 6 tonight, or the deal is off. This has red flags for me. Again, I am willing to pay, but don't want to be screwed again by a collector.