Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this a good idea...?

Hello -

Well, I figured out that my health concerns were all thanks to severe anxiety, mild depression, and stress, which I was officially diagnosed with one week ago...

I've been going to school normally, but I just feel VERY run down daily. Headache, drowsyness, irrtability, loss of appetite. I feel peachy when I'm taking it easy at home or at another casual setting with family/friends.

I had a pretty serious cold earlier this year, and missed a few days of school and I'm getting uncomfortably close to my absence limit. Tomorrow IS a Friday, and I know it's just ONE more day until the weekend, but I really feel like I need a mental health day. Being in school takes a toll on me every day - I feel trapped, alone (even though my friends are right there), and I feel that if I ever needed something to help me calm down (a walk in the park, or comforting words from someone who cares about me), it wouldn't be available to me.

I'm jumpy and less involved since my severe anxiety kicked in last month. I'm currently seeing a therapist and am scheduled to see a physciatrist next week, to see if I need medication.

I'm hoping that the doctor can give me something material for my problems, but until then, I just think I'm going insane...

Would it be a good idea for me to take a mental health day?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this a good idea...?

I can't really comment on your quesetion. You are the only one who knows the answer. The question I would ask myself is your anxiety worth one of your few remaining days?

I myself suffer from the exact same problem as you have described. Prime example; today I went home sick from work. While at work I was visbly sick and my boss sugested I go home. I get home, put on some sweats and cuddle up on the couch and turn on the TV and guess what, I start feeling fine.

I have been like this since high school however I am just now getting it under control. The best advice I can give is to take what ever medicine they prescribe you as directed and never stop just because you feel better. Another thing I do to help me cope is to recognize what is going on. I suffer from a mild case of paranioa too and feel like I am constantly being talked about. If someone is whispering then I have an over whelming feeling they are talking about me. When my anxiety sets in I often try my best to recognize it for what it is and talk myself into understanding that it is something I can control. Recognizing your issue is the best form of control over our disease I have found.

Hope this helps you and wish you well!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this a good idea...?

Taking a "mental health day" is always nice, but is it worth it, know that you are close to your limit and you are still a good 5 months away from the end of the year?

One thing to try is to go to school and just set limits for yourself. You sit yourself down and go... I only have to make it through xxx of classes. Now I have xxx number to get through. Reward yourself. IF I get through these two classes I'll have a candy bar or something that appeals to you. You can always find ways to bribe yourself through the day. You just find little ways to make it through the day.

We all have off days that make it hard to get through. I am a cp'er. (chronic pain). I live with chronic pain EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life. There are days when it hurt to just sit up in bed. But I force myself to get dressed and go into work. I am an Executive Assistant to a Vice President. He relies on me to be there for him, him and the 4 managers and 61 analysts that I support. So I know that it can be hard to get going. You just need to find the little tricks that you can use to get through the day.

Good luck keep going!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information