Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Points of View : 17th October

Viewers complaining about over-loud music in "Saints and Scroungers."

As usual, a BBC "numpty," not a "suit," this one in a skirt and top, came on to say that she spenRAB a lot of time telling programme makers to reduce the background music sound levels in programmes...

So "one word from her and they do as they like?"

Well, no change there then, eh?

However she then had the cheek to suggest that; "the music probably sounded more onerous because we'd reduced the length of the programme."
    Err.. "onerous" then increases volume?

Sorry love, it was just too loud and drowned out speech, stop making silly excuses.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

PoV and Newswatch are as bad as each other. Niether usually seem to have BBC staff that will accept a complaint or agree with a viewer and generally go on to say why the viewing is wrong and they are right.

I'm actually surprised that the BBC bod actually said that she told program makers about the issue. Too bad she doesn;t seem to have any clout

Newswatch the otherday was more of the same. Obviously about the Chile coverage but the BBC guy wasn't having any of it, even though he agreed/admitted that the coverage cost more than reported and that future global issues (G8 or G20 things) may have to be cut down because of the coverage given to a static situation in Chile.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I quite agree. It's good the BBC has feedback programmes, but airing complaints only for some producer to come on and say 'I don't agree' is pointless. And POV should drop that stupid 'blah-blah-blah' theme tune - it's not exactly sending out the right message.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just don't get this background music thing. I feel many people must suffer from some kind of hearing deficiency beacuse I have never found it a problem.

On televison settings menus it is possible to alter the sound, bass etc, so maybe if they tried this, the problem may be solved for them. Plus there are such things as subtitles !

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

But why should viewers have to resort to subtitles when they could be hearing the dialogue perfectly well if it weren't for the music - which in the clip they showed could not possibly have added anything to the programme?

Hmm..

We've done this so many times before, so I won't say anything other than;

Is there any record of any viewer, ever, complaining that the background music wasn't loud enough?

I rest my, (and many other viewer's I suspect) case!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The problem of background music overriding speech is due to the fact that when the BBC people watch it on their systems, they have specially adapted televisions and so on.

Could the fact that they have to recompress the audio for transmission have anything to do with the volume problem? I know with adverts, they say that due to the compression of the audio the adverts sound much louder than it should be. They are listening to the original Dolby surround audio in perfect conditions. We are listening to the whole audio scrunched up into 256 bit mp3 on Freeview. Has anyone done a comparison between the audio in the HD version of a programme and the SD version on Freeview? Also, I guess the compression is being done in real time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newswatch is a complete and utter waste of time. The format is

1. Viewer (usually in regional studio) complains about an aspect of News coverage

2. BBC suit in London studio with Ray Snoddy says he/she was perfectly happy with the coverage and doesn't see a problem

3. Snoddy agrees with BBC suit. Cue closing sig.

There was one hairy moment a few weeks ago when Snoddy noted the D-G had been to Downing Street to talk about spending cuts. ''It didn't look very good, did it'' he said in what for him was a tough question. Happily the BBC suit was able to say that he was not responsible for the D-G's engagements. Phew !

And will someone please show Snoddy how to read the autocue and breathe properly.

We've had all sorts of reasons given by the BBC for music that for many, is far too loud.

My own view is that over-loud and strident music is used by programme makers to try to inject some drama into a programme where it is lacking in the acting or plot.

"Ramp up the music volume here Joe, as it's looking a bit flat!"

Unfortunately these incidences are increasing, given the dire quality of some of rubbish now being screened.

We've had all sorts of technical reasons including the classic remark by a (non technical) BBC "suit" several years ago on the POV programme; "Those who complain are either watching on duff equipment or have hearing problems."
    Such arrogance could only have been expected.

But somewhere amongst all the technology, there must be a knob somewhere which says "Volume Control."

All we're asking is for them to "turn it down a bit."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh dear. Another week, another pointless moan about POV. Here's an idea. STOP WATCHING THE SHOW

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information