Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Christmas TV Thread 2010

Road to coronation st won't be on over the festive period, I highly doubt, certainly not Xmas day.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So far the following have been confirmed or rumoured to be on BBC

The Nativity (Daily Dec 20th to Dec 24th)
    The Royle Family
    Miranda
    Doctor Who
    My Family
    Rob Brydon
    Just William
    Film : Cars (2006)
    Film : Shrek the Third (2007)
    Toast
    Tonight's The Night Christmas Special
    Total Wipeout Celebrity Special
    Not Going Out Christmas Special
    Strictly Come Dancing
    EastEnders
    Rock and Chips (Only Fools and Horses prequel)

I also wonder whether the Morecambe and Wise drama will be shown at Christmas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/mor...nd-wise-drama/

https://sites.google.com/site/ukchristmastv/Home

Can't believe you guys started this thread so soon. I keep ignoring it, but it so often appears near the top of the thread lists that I have had to join in and read it about a month before I planned to.

Some interesting thoughts.

It would be very tempting to run Rock and Chips on Christmas Day given the heritage and decent reception in January. Do we know if there actually will be another Royle Family or is that just an assumption?

As for Indiana Jones - yes, all the others have premiered to large audiences on Christmas Day, but movies aren't the draw they once were in this DVD/Sky/downloading era. Unless it took a teatime slot on the big day, I would think Boxing Day is more likely.

It is being repeated on BBC2 in early December to coincide with the 50th anniversary, so I doubt it would be shown again at Christmas.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The shows mentioned will probably all be there on Christmas Day, unorginal maybe but all massively popular and deserve a place in the schedule on the top TV day of the year.

Personally, I would put the Shrek film on Christmas Day. A Shrek film premiere has got huge figures before and the Shrek brand is bigger than Cars.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe ITV plan to show "Quantum of Solace".

It'll be the first Bond premiered on Christmas Day in over a decade!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was just about to post that on here

And yeah, I'm really glad it is Christmas Themed too!

I hope it gets a good slot too, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or Boxing Day I am hoping for!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect the BBC will stick to the strategy that has been serving them well over the past couple of years on the three main Christmas days:

Christmas Eve: Comedy. My Family has been there for the past couple of years and performed solidly. Victoria Wood's (awful) special did well there last year too.

Christmas Day: The tried and trusted. Pixar/Dreamworks films, EastEnders, Doctor Who, Strictly and whatever comedy (looks like it might be the Royles again) they can rustle up for the later slots.

Boxing Day: Movies. They had a really movie-heavy schedule last year and Pirates has taken the main evening slot for two years running. This might be the day most likely to change as I'm not sure what blockbuster they could premiere in the evening. Perhaps a feature length drama like Rock and Chips might air here instead?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I strongly believe Rock and Chips will get a post Upstairs Downstairs Boxing Day slot! I also think My Family will take the 9pm Christmas Eve slot and The Graham Norton Show could move to Christmas Day post The Royle Family. That would be great viewing for me anyway!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm really not hoping for a lot on BBC1 or ITV1 on the main days as I think it will be the same old, same old, having said that I do watch the Christmas editions of Coronation Street and Emmerdale,to be honest, that and Strictly is all we watch on Christmas Day as we buy DVD's but what I would really, really love to see this year is the schedulers clear the daytime schedules on both BBC1 and BBC2 in the run up to Christmas and the week after, by this I mean none of the usual stuff we get like Animal Park or Escape to the Country, but put some old films on in the mornings, I'd like a week of Laurel and Hardy films and maybe some old classics during the week between Christmas and New Year, and maybe in the week running up to Christmas, run some Christmas themed/family films on BBC1 in the afternoon. Rather like BBC2 used to do back in the '80's and the 90's. I would love to see "It's a wonderful life" on as well over the Christmas holiday, as I have never seen the film before, but my husband tells me it is THE Christmas film, still if they don't I can watch it on DVD on Boxing Day.

I wish BBC1 didn't have to stick to fitting everything in around Dr Who and EastEnders on Christmas Day, I for one would like a film on possibly after the Strictly special, possibly put Strictly on at 7pm for an hour and then have a film on at 8 until 10.15/30 when the news would be on.... but I know that both Dr Who and EastEnders are huge ratings winners, so that ain't gonna happen!!

Looking forward to Upstairs, Downstairs, loved the original and have been rewatching it on ITV3. Rock and Chips was good as well, so will be watching and taping that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

From the above list Christmas Day could go:

14:00 Top of the Pops
    15:00 The Queen
    15:10 FILM: Shrek The Third
    16:45 Tonight's The Night Christmas Special
    17:45 BBC News
    18:00 EastEnders
    18:30 Doctor Who