I apologize in advance, this is going to be a lengthy post and I will ask several questions. If I receive a good answer I will definitely choose a best answer ASAP. Thanks.

I am a college student about to enter my junior year. I will be graduating from SDSU (San Diego State) in the Spring of 2012. I plan on obtaining my credential through a student teaching program offered in my area within two years of my graduation. I am passionate about history and love the idea of teaching it. Eventually, after teaching high school, I would like to profess and do research.

The purpose of this post is to pose the question: How obtainable are these goals?

I'm not very up to date on education around the country. In California it is becoming a massive problem. Budget cuts here are dwindling school funding to almost nothing and it seems the prospects of me finding a job here are basically null if the current pattern continues. I do know that soon a large amount of teachers will be retiring, and a "hiring bubble" will pop and allow new blood into the California school districts, but even if this happens there is so much of a surplus in regards to teachers of the arts that I'm a bit nervous about what happens after I graduate and get my credential.

1) What can you tell me about looking for a job as a teacher?

2) If I begin tutoring high school students now, will this make any difference when job hunting?

3) What do interviews for teachers usually consist of?

4) I have heard some districts prefer teachers with bachelors degrees rather than masters degrees because they can pay them less. Is this true?

5) How is California right now in terms of hiring? If the current trend continues, what are the chances of making it in the job market?

6) If you have any other helpful information you think I may be interested in, please share it, especially if you are currently a teacher in California, or any state for that matter. I sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks again.