Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Critically acclaimed" films that you hated

Death in Venice - sat through this piece of tosh thinking there had to be a plot to it in the end. I was wrong. Having subsequently looked it up in Halliwell's film guide, found that it said "possibly the most overrated film of all time...." - I really should check these guides BEFORE watching the film!

Sorry to hark back but The Wicker Man is an absolute classic - if you watched it all the way through, how could you not find the ending horrific? Cold, nasty, unjust and vengeful... made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

American Beauty - couldn't understand what the fuss was about.... thin plot

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

HARRY POTTER - The most OVERHYPED POS ever!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"The Wicker Man" is a classic, undoutedly.

Although perhaps part of the problem is that anything that's built up by critics or just other people inevitably feels like a let down. Everybody raved about "Four Weddings and a Funeral" for years, and when I finally saw it I didn't think it was remotely amusing. "Titanic" was rubbish, "Pulp Fiction" has to be the most overrated film of all time, and what's with "American Beauty" - it's a terrible boring film. And for that matter, why "Gladiator" even got considered for any Oscars is beyond me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bridget Jones's Diary - why on earth did they have to get an American to play an English woman? The script struck me as instantly forgettable. The only scene that made me smile was when Bridget, at a party and dressed as a Bunny girl, encounters Honor Blackman:

"I see you didn't get the message about the party not being fancy dress, either."

"Yes, I got the message..."

People actually compared this film to Notting Hill - I don't think so!

I agree about The English Patient too - surely the longest film ever made, or so it seemed.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lord of the Rings

I was really looking forward to seeing Fellowship of the Ring and was very dissapointed when I saw it I felt this was a very poor film.

I feltthat no thought whatsoever had gone into the screenplay. I can't think of one single original line of dialogue in the whole film. A film neeRAB a decent screenplay, but the makers obviously thought that they could just rely on Tolkein's genius.

The characters, I thought, were one-dimensional, for instance there is absolutely no reference to the love/hate relationship between Legolas and Gimli which was such an important element of the book.

At the end of the day, this film just seemed to plod along like a thousand other sword and sorcery, dungeons and dragons-type movies. The story - whilst it was dazzling and original eighty years ago - has been copied many times and this, I thought, was a very poor copy.

I'm amazed that everyone else seemed to liked it so much

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh Fight Club, now we're talking. What a load of boring old rubbish. Okay, the fight stuff was kind of okay, if a little dull, but then it went all wierd with them becoming terrorists or something? I don't know as I switched over at that point, although I did switch back to see the "suprise" twist ending. Not that it was very suprising, or maybe I just didn't care.

It was just a gimmick film after all. Nobody really bothered trying to make a decent film as they knew the gimmic plus Brad Pitt was enough to get people watching.

Dave

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

the rock
    con air
    matrix
    my best frienRAB wedding
    men in black 2
    lord of the rings

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mulholland Drive ... I'm pretty sure the critics loved it. It was a horrible mess. I want those two and a half hours of my life back.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brilliant?!? Subtle?!? Beautiful?!?

Are we talking about the same movie here?

I can't take a film seriously as a HORROR movie when the cast keep breaking out in song! I kept expecting Mary bloody Poppins to drop in on her umbrella!

In my eyes, there was no suspense, no frights, and if that wicker man was supposed to give me the creeps, it didn't! I just kept laughing at Christopher Lee in drag, and Edward Woodward dressed up as Mr Punch etc. A hare in a coffin? It was all too bizarre and not well enough explained. Should have been a Monty Python satire.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

English Patient (biggest yawn ever?) yes :yawn:

2001: A Space Odyssey (ok, not awful, but disappointing): biggest shite on the planet emperors new clothes stuff, what a boring puddle of pish

The Matrix (what a rip-off of old Twilight Zone stories) OK, but overrated

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (well, mediocre, I suppose, but wasn't worth buying the DVD without seeing it first) OMFG its the very definition crap

Bangs of New York: didnt even end the film what a nuisance and a complete waste of money.

Greek wedding: still waiting for a funny scene

The whole Pulp fiction, Ray Liotta mishpoche, please erase of planet earth

Everything that wins or gets a mention in Cannes :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

exception the Pianist

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information