Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Must See : The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

In the light of all the discussion, I am re-reading them all now. Can't wait to see Reepicheep and Puddleglum as movie characters - they are both very funny.

All the books will be much tougher to adapt than LWW I think - they pretty much slapped the book on the screen there with some tinkering. With the possible exception of the Magician's Nephew, I reckon they'll have to throw all the structures out the window for the rest and start from the ground up.

I'm sure this will outrage Lewisfiles, but I'd be all for it - whatever works!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the spirited debate is about to fizzle out.....your post is very well argued and I can't, right now, think of anything comparable to come back with. Having just googled for 'Pulman on CS Lewis' I must say that he (Pulman) comes across as quite vicious but without really saying much of substance. Most of the quotes seem to come from a few years ago when he seems to have gone to extremes in an attempt to explode the Lewis myth, as it were. (By the way, you might be interested to know that your post came up around about third in the list in the google search ).

However, my own gut instinct is that Pulman has raised valid points and although I can see why you say
    I think there is a lot more to it than that.

As for making more Narnia films, personally I agree with Willowfae that the Magician's Nephew is best read after the others - it is more meaningful that way.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

TBH, I think the only books worth filming are LWW and Magician's Nephew. As you say, the rest of them would need so much re-structuring and re-writing you might as well make up a whole new set of stories.

Mmmh, interesting thought that don't you think?
    These were my two favourite books of the series as a child and it seems to me now, as an adult, that is because they are the only two that contain enough magical storytelling to capture my imagination so that I remember them now. And, possibly, the only two where, as a girl I could identify with either the characters or the narrative (eg, no endless battle scenes).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually I've been quite surprised at how good the stories I'd mainly forgotten are, and usually its because of strong characters. And funny you should mention battle scenes, this was one area that LWW film vaguely bothered me... it seemed to want to take on Lord of the Rings on its own territory. Fine, there are battles to be found in some of the books, but there can never be a sense of each film outdoing the one before like the Rings trilogy. I was worried it might raise false expectations, ultimately.

I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader might be hardest, even though I really do like it - it is SO unblockbustery. LoaRAB of great events and places (lots of laughs and no doubt the place where dreams come true could be made quite terrifying on film), but the whole arc of the story is quite cerebral really. For a kiRAB book...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really? Dammit, I think I'll just have to go out and buy the whole lot again (I did have them all but my brother insists that they are his and.....but that's a long and irrelevant story)
    And the Voyage of the Dawn Treader has funny bits?
    I don't remember that at all.
    Right, I'm off to Waterstone's in my lunch break tomorrow.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know it makes sense! Reepicheep and the monopoRAB are definitely funny in VDT (best not abbreviated merely to VD methinks!)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apparentley Ottakers have the comlete chronacles in hardback at half price for

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

beautiful film..surprised how much I enjoyed it. the amimation was excellent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information