Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are we in a quagmire in Iraq?

I think so. Traditionally american forces dont do so well fighting a guerrila war.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I could sure go for some freedom right now...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Regarding Vietnam, China was a formidable political obstacle after letting it be known that the US amassing enough combat troops through a general draft and equipment to conquer and occupy N. Vietnam on China's border would be taken as an act of aggression against China and we all know what happened in Korea.

The current quagmire, Iraq, was not only poorly planned with no exit strategy,
    read Bush Sr.'s book on why he avoided occupation of Iraq (he actually accepted military recommendations) with conscription being unavailable to equal the military and state police mass required by Saddam to control the three very distinct populations. Now we've decided it's going to up to Iraq itself to clean up our mess.

Same lies, same deception in both instances, the primary difference being China as we could fund Vietnam without incurring national debt and had an adequate supply of cannon fodder. Iraq was simply a very bad call by an administration desperate to fuel the US economic engine to produce numbers capable of maintaining public confidence and subsequent consumer transactions.

jk? i did not get it. honestly.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's a liberal?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So quagmire is a liberal concept? What did Donald Rumsfeld just describe in other worRAB? The military leadership as been saying this all along. Fighting the insurgency is a longterm proposition. The only way we can shorten US involvement is to get the Iraqis to take over their own defense against the terrorists. The problem right now is that the would be Iraqis police and armed forces are getting slaughtered before they are fully trained.

What's DENIAL? Gee Dubya would respond with "that's a river in Egypt." We are in a quagmire. Time to get beyond the denial level and ask the real question. How do we extricate ourselves from the quagmire? We need to train Iraqis troops and police outside of Iraq to insure safety. We need to round up all known ex Bath party, Saddam thugs. We need internment camps instead of simply allowing the predators to mingle with their prey. If offering Sunnis Muslims the opportunity to participate in the new government isn't enough, we need to seriously consider dividing Iraq and the Sunnis having their own country.

The same direction is not an option. On-going daily body counts for years should not be an option. We would need to re-establish the draft in a few months. That is not an option.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

VOr even posted his own definition of a quagmire.

Difficult, embarrassing and precarious.

By VOR's own definition, Iraq is a quagmire.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, Blair said we could cure malaria with $5oo million. It is time we take the initiative, but once again cut throught politics are to blame for no progress.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Having used the word "quagmire" for over half of my life, I decided that I would look it up and be sure I know the true meaning of it before I voted and voiced my opinion.

quagmire [Show phonetics]
    noun [C]
    1 an area of soft wet ground which you sink into if you try and walk on it:
    At the end of the match, the pitch was a real quagmire.

2 a difficult and dangerous situation:
    Since the coup, the country has sunk deeper into a quagmire of violence and lawlessness.

Is the Iraqi war a quagmire? In reference to definition number one, I'd have to say no.

I reference to definition number two, duh..... anyone who doesn't think Iraq is a difficult and dangerous situation has been drinking way too much kool-aid. It's not a right vs. left thing. It is what it is.

I remember the R.O.T.C. character (don't recall his name) in the movie "Animal House," during the homecoming parade, blowing his whistle at the crowd shouting "All is well! All is well!" That was about two seconRAB before he was flattened like a pancake.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not a quagmire.

What has this so-called "insurgency" accomplished? Are they winning the hearts and minRAB of the people? Are the Iraqi people flocking to the banner of the "insurgents" or are they lining up to join the forces of the legitimate Iraqi government? Are the drivers of bomb-laden vehicles Iraqi suicide volunteers? Or are they sometimes duped into delivering explosives which are then triggered remotely? Do those who do volunteer for suicide missions come from Iraq, or are they mentally retarded losers imported from Syria, Saudi, Yemen, Iran, Libya, ad inf?

If the "insurgents" are not winning, how can we be losing (except in the minRAB of those who wish for us to lose)? If we do lose in Iraq (as the Democrat leaders seem to wish), does anyone really think that the terrorists will beat their sworRAB into plowshares and become productive citizens?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information