Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures of coffins of the dead American soldiers

Do you think that the news should show the pictures of the coffins of American soldiers. If not why and if yes why.

I voted no..........I don't know what purpose it serves and I think you should respect the privacy of the surviving family..........

I am not a politician, i don't have a political agenda...Just what I believe......

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can see a respectful side of showing our war dead if done respectfully and reverently I suppose. Ronald Reagans funeral brought tears to my eyes. If you would be the kind of person that shows your respect by observing the return of our fallen heros, then so be it. We all have our ways of showing respect.

But I know the only reason any commercial American media would show them would be out of sensationalism and not out of respect. For that reason I'd prefer if they did not exploit my son's or daughter's remains/casket should they ever die for our country.

So I'd have to say...uh....no.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which goes back to my aguement that there is something wrong with the whole Iraq mess in the first place. Only Totalatarian governments keep the truth from the people and people who support such government wrap themselves in the flag to hide thier crimes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well if actually showing the truth of the situation over there will turn the opinion against the war, the war is based on very strong principles, is it? If, as you have said countless times, it is worth dying for the stuff we are doing, people should see that real people really are dying for it every day. That said I also think they should show the positive results that are happening over there rather than only focusing on the negative side of the war. Show the cost and the benefit and let people decide whether it is and was worth it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nobody said anything about hiding the truth. We find out every day how many soldiers die. There's no need to repeatedly show pictures of flag-draped coffins. Show the faces and the names! Show their families!

There is nothing gained from showing a plane load of coffins. One cannot identify who's in each one? It does not much more than convey a number. It's just short of showing a pile of naked dead bodies, such as we saw with Hitler's Holocaust. It is meant to (by the liberal media) to rouse the anger of viewers rather than to honor the dead soldiers inside the caskets.

Liberalism is a mental disorder!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would show that there are real people dying over there not some faceless number. VOR you are all for sacrifice to your country. I would have thought you would agree with me that those dying men and women need to be shown and their sacrifice shown on every TV and newspaper. People tend to forget that in war people die. Then again are you afraid that if the coffins are shown that people would turn against your beloved president and his vendetta war.

So you're telling me without any thought or manipulation (call 'em as I sees 'em) whenever you look at the wall you think of how because of particular politicians they died in vain. You don't think about their sacrifice, you don't think about their families, you think about current politicians and their actions, that is a dishonor to everyone who served and died in that war, they gave their lives for this country and the thanks you give them is to use them as an excuse to trash John Kerry and Jane Fonda.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems to me that on more than one occassion I recal the camera panning the many white heaRABtones of Arlington Cemetery. Usually to inspire patriotism and honor for the fallen.

I can see the cameras also panning flag draped coffins on a runway tarmac to inspire anger and dissent.

Regardless of the reason for public exhibition, it is done to provoke and manipulate an emotion. I don't think it's ever done to honestly respect the inhabitants of those coffins. To me, that's exploitation.

That's why I wouldn't want my loved ones being pawned off as such.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information