Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

No, I'm saying it is confusing if you just see a date written as say 5/11/04 on the web. If I saw it in everyday life, I'd take it to be 5th November. If it's on the web, I have to stop and think: is it an American who wrote this? Have I got to reverse the day and month or not?

But since you find it so easy, you won't mind me using the numeric format I'm used to, for you will remember to convert 12/1/02 to 1/12/02 won't you?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

I am a US citizen but not that far removed from Canada as grandparents on both side were from Quebec.

And I love Eurotrash. Spent 2 years in Germany and have made several long trips to France, Belgium and the NetherlanRAB. UK is on my "to do" list.

Also, I should mention that US Army uses the European method of dates as well but usually write out the month. So it is 14 Jul 2005.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Why does it matter?

We have obviously seen people from other countries that hold a knowledge that far surpasses the knowledge many Americans here have of their own country to several degrees.

The claim that if you are not ____ you don't understand is stupid. As if place of origin was a fundemental factor as to your knowledge. Such arguments would dictate that if you were not from Asia, you don't understand, and therefore someone who has spent 5 decades studying Asia but was not born there did not know much about it.

Quite stupid to say the very least.

Education is avaliable to all, merely because you are too lazy to undertake it does not mean someone that is not American has not undergone the effort to become more informed and educated then you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Yes, there was abuse at Gitmo and Afghanistan, but lets not forget that it was perpetuated by a tiny percentage of US soldiers. Lets not forget that the vast majority of US soldiers (about 99%) did not abuse prisoners.

So yes lets condemm the abuse and bring those responsible to court and punish them , but don't brush the entire US army with this charge.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Yes, this is all true and what is also true is that there were industrial plants in Dresden making parts for the german military. You have quoted DW, and given a german perspective.

The german perspective usually ignores the military reasons for bombing Dresden (only slightly alludes to it in this article by saying the allies were trying to cut the lines of communication to the front).

So the germans dwell on the civilian casualties and ignore the fact that Dresden was chosen because there were factories making military componets for Hilter's war machine.

But to be objective you have to give two sides of the story . My point is the german perspective only gives one side of the story - this piece in DW is a good example.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Canada is the best :xgood: :xlove:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Can it be to both?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

As I recall citizenship is granted on several basis

1) be born on American territory (not sure how embassies work)
    2) be born on a American base
    3) be born to at least one American parent
    4) be naturalized
    5) serve under the military's new program which grants it
    6) gain it through legislation such as the 10 year

Usually the US requires you to ditch one, and often people ditch one due to tax purposes. Who wants to pay taxes to two or more countries?

The highest number I recall was of a kid born on a US base in French Morocco. Got 3 citizenships.

VOR's argument is similar to the one used for illegal jailing of 100,000 Japanese. Quite sad to say the least. History is one of the two greatest teachers you will ever have. Quite a pity to say that many people reject such teachings.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Missed this thread at first. I was born in the US to British parents, then moved back to Blighty at 2. I registered to vote in the US at 18, so have dual citizenship.

For VoR's information, I have never taken the Oath of Allegiance, nor would I. Were we to go to war, I'd be behind the UK totally. Personally I'd happily renounce my US citizenship if it wasn't for the fact that getting rid of that imbecile in the White House (or whatever replaces him) is an international matter, and using my vote to try and do that is in the intrest of both our countries.

And as to what I consider myself? British first and foremost, English second and I suppose European a distant third and American at a very distant fourth.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you "American"

Filthy Euro-trash here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information