Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

That's pretty much the way it is now to some degree. In English we discuss the religious beliefs of the characters, in US history we compared the native American religions to the 7-day creation version. There is even a comparitive religion class in our school. So far with my experiences there hasn't been any bias, I think you're right it's important for people to know what others believe or they have no hope at understanding other people in society. As long as they don't advocate religion, it's fine to keep it informative as long as it pertains to the subject.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

At least you are willing to go on record as for an "Open" curriculum. BTW in my elementary school we studied early Greek and Roman religon along with Christianity and Judaism.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I take your point to an extent, but don't believe it is right. The education system is there to educate kiRAB to a general level about the world around them, not to pander to what the children's parents want them to hear. What of the children of a holocaust denier, would you support the kiRAB not learning of the holocaust just because their parents don't want them to hear it?

I live in a democracy, not a republic.

As long as the teaching was about the religion, along with others, and not indoctrination in it. Then I would have absolutely no problem with that or any other religion being taught to my kiRAB.

Which of course it isn't, pre-Christian that is.

Err since when did I try to block anyone

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

This is basically what has been favored by several of us. Teaching the beliefs of other religions in a documentary fashion rather than a preaching fashion. It's nice to know what offenRAB others so you can refrain from doing so...or choose to do so.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I think religion should be taught at home not in schools.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

Of course more than just Christianity should be taught. But I think the part about fights is the reason we DO need to teach about religion in school. We need to teach kiRAB about differences in religion just as with race. We need to promote tolerance to avoid fights from happening. Do you really think ignoring the problem will help it?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

First of all even if we taught only Christianity:
    The teacher tells people that Christians believe there is a God.
    So now do all the kiRAB decide they believe in God and need to make the school more religious? Also I'll tell you if one of my teachers started preaching about religion than they'd hear about it from the students about how it isn't necessarily true and if any parent heard about it they'd be getting many angry phone calls. If your teacher is preaching about religion in science class you should be able to write a letter to your principal about it and if they agree to teach religion too you can go to the school board. If they agree with it technically you could sue the school board (or the individual school). I doubt you really want to get rid of science teachers preaching that much but just wanted to let you know if you really cared, you could do something about it.

Also about parents brainwashing their children:
    First of all I don't know of many parents who really teach how their religion is right and to get into fights with those of other religions. The point is that teaching respect can't hurt. If the teacher contradicts their parents they may get curious and find out for themselves and find out that people who believe other things aren't the ignorant idiots that their parents described them as.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I voted yes but not because I think that we should use public schools for religious indoctrination. I think that religion should be taught in the context of history. Much of our history is intertwined with our religions, yet our kiRAB are taught almost no background for this history. For example, America was settled by those wanting religious freedom, but what do you know about the details of their grief? How did religion affect our form of government? Laws? Traditions?
    We try to be so careful to maintain a ficticious "separation of Church and State" that we miss a large portion of history. I think that religion should be taught and it can be without preaching to the students.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

My guess is you'd also favor slavery and the caste system.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I voted "other", because this one's weird for me.

I honestly believe ALL religions should be taught in schools. Schools are a place of learning. Not just learning secular things vs. religious things. Not just safe things vs. dangerous things.

They are a place where a student should be afforded ALL the knowledge available to the human race... and then afforded the opportunity to make their own stance on issues of morality, and religion, and politics, and so on. Only when ALL the knowledge is available, though, can a good opinion be formed.

In schools, EVERYTHING should be taught. Anything short of this is censorship.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information