Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Religion in Schools?

The only reason the conservanazis have illegalized drugs is that drugs are competition for religion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I know I'm getting into this discussion a bit late, but all romantisism aside, I voted "No."

I believe that public schools should not attempt to teach religion simply because the issues are just too many to teach well.
    If a family wishes to send their child to a school run by a specific denomination or religion, fine. Let them, it's their choice.

Now as far as schools being a place for learning, I agree wholeheartedly. But when school years are only 180 days long, how much real teaching on a subject so vast is really going to be done? Not to mention the fact that if adopted by any schools, the courses would probably only be one semester long. You know, one of those "optional" classes which simply fills out the credit hour requirements for the near to graduation kiRAB.

My son has so many required courses he's lucky to even sneek in Orchestra! He just doesn't have time to take Humanities classes (which is where I'm sure a comparitive religion class would fall). His school actually requires all students to take and pass driver's education before graduation. He has only seven class perioRAB and they are filled with Math, Science, History, English, PE, Orchestra and an Alternative Language. That's it..he has no time for optional classes, let alone a lunch or even study hall. He gets ten minutes before Orchestra to shove as much food (or what they call food) down his gob as he can, while tuning his instrument.

College is where kiRAB are going to find "comparitive religion" classes, and where I feel it belongs. The concepts and differences are so vast that high school kiRAB will simply turn off before the first ten minutes have passed.
    I took several comparitive religion classes in college and I feel I learned a lot more there than I ever would have in high school.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

So what's wrong with teaching about religion's part in history in public schools?

So what's wrong with teaching about religion's part in politics in public schools?

Simply because you do not believe in it (nor do I) does not mean it consists of "nothing." If the class about religion was teaching all sorts of religion that would not be unconstitutional as long as no religion was being favored over the others.

See above.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

Coming at it from a practical perspective, I fail to see how one can adequately teach about, say, the Crusades, the Lutheran Reformation, or even the Shi'a and Sunni split without discussing religion. Even further, a competent course in Music must talk about the early Christian Church service to understand Medieval music. Furthermore, what if one wants to study philosophy, again kinda hard to do that without teaching about religion. What of literature? Political Science (hey even if you don't like them, you at least have to mention the 'Christian Coalition' and 'Evangelical Christians')?

These are simply pratical concerns which take Jimbo's comments to a whole new level of importance. Ignorance is the least of our problems if schools were to remain completely silent about religion.

Clarification Note: Notice how religion is to be dealt with only insofar as it impacts the subject matter, and how I argue for its use WHERE necessary for a student to properly understand certain concepts. Religion is a fact of life and of history. It exist and has been responsible for momentous paradigm shifts, therefore it should be reflected in our studies.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

Blast! Guy! You've pointed out a deficiency of the original question--as well as its diverse interpretations.

I read my own agenda into the question--"Is it OK to teach ABOUT religion in public schools?"

But, strictly interpreted, the question really is about teaching religion in public schools. I am opposed to prayer in pubic schools, the whole religious-indoctrination enchilada--but I very much favor teaching ABOUT religion in public schools. From the strict interpretion standpoint I've got to change my vote--but probably the system won't allow that--and say "No."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

Religion shouldn't be taught at school just because some people believe their religion is the right religion. If religion was taught at school, ALL RELIGION, than many people would get offended by other religious zealots who think their religion is better (or right) than others. When people ask to be taught religion at school, they're probably thinking only their religion. They dont seem to think of other people's religious beliefs.

Religion and SChool should be separated.

And for those who think this is breaking their first amendment. you're wrong your freedom isnt become taken away. Actually you're the one trying to break the amendment for others who do not believe what you believe.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

To a point. But we are not discussing instruction and indoctrination in religion as such, but just knowledge about them. People are religious, and to only ever have knowledge on one religion, the one 'taught' at home, can and is very dangerous. The point of education is in the end to educate, and religion is an important part of society.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I think you figured out the problem. Religion exists in our society, we can't deny it. And to try to would just be foolish. Some parent is going to argue that they are teaching their kid about religion and the kid actually looked at it on his own (oh no, actual curiousity and outside-school research with an open mind? horrors) and discovered to not believe the religion the parents preach to their kid. They fail to realize that the child's mind is not theirs. My parents told me about their religious beliefs but told me there were many other religions and that they respected my right to believe what I wanted to. They told me if I found a religion and wanted to go to church, they would drive me. I have looked around and pretty much found that I don't need an external answer for the meaning of the world. I have no need to believe something else created me. I don't have a problem admitting that "I don't know" and that no where in any religion could I find any real proof, it was just belief. And I didn't have that belief. The problem is that many (not all, I would suspect this isn't true for many posters here) people just believe what they are told at face value and don't question anything. I will ask as many questions in school as I need to before I truly understand it. But I also understand that I will not be able to understand everything in the vastness of the universe and life. I will search for an answer, but I also know when to admit that I don't know the answer and having other people tell me the answer with no evidence or experience to back it up will not work with me.

Religion in Schools?

trolling are we?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Religion in Schools?

I don't mind about offending other people, just so long as you are an equal opportunity offender and offend theyself... after all no one ought to make fun of another unless they make fun of themselves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information