Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Megan's Law

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

[QUOTE=CUNxTime;364166]

As far as I'm concerned,they would never get out,I find myself wondering if castration is good enough since other urges are no doubt present...e.g. the urge to mutilate for example.:angry:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

Jo, I don't know where you got this idea from, but plain and simple, it's preposterous. The biggest protector of your child is you. Despite what your government wants you to believe, the police aren't meant to protect you. Police monitoring of the sex offender won't prevent nearly as many crimes as you can by just showing your children a picture of the sex offender and warning them about him.

Megan's law informs people that there's a sex offender living in the neighborhood. It also gives concerned parents a physical description and a photo of the offender. That way you can inform your children who to watch out for.

But I've noticed that alot of you UK people hold a distorted view of police as your protectors. Plain and simple, police aren't meant to protect you. They're meant to investigate crimes after they happen, and possibly prevent future crimes. But police aren't obligated to protect you from crime, that's your responsibility.

It is nothing short of ACLU type liberalism to protect the identities of sex offenders by keeping the parents ignorant. Parents have the right to know that there's a sex offender living in a neighborhood, posing a threat to their children.

Parents have more power against sex offenders; even while being monitored, a sex offender can only be charged after they committed an offense. In most circumstances, only the guardian of the child has the power to actually prevent a sex offense.

Also, we shouln't care what happens to the sex offender as a result of their own actions. They wouldn't have to worry about vigilantes if they didn't rape a seven year old, would they?

And finally, I don't advocate vigilantism, but it does scare the living hell out of people who want to play with children. A few years in prison isn't as intimidating as the threat of being castrated, and people in prison for sex crimes are more likely to be someone's bitch than people in there for other crimes.

Megan's Law

How many times do I have to tell you that police aren't meant to protect you?

How many?

You didn't read a thing I said, did you? I've said that police aren't meant to protect you at least ten times by now. They're meant to investigate crimes after they happen, and once in a while they might catch a criminal in the act.

It's not that police aren't competant. It's that protecting you from crime isn't their job. This is actually a good thing, because if police were obligated to protect you, they could be sued every time a crime is committed. These lawsuits would likely bankrupt the police.

Assuming they're a convicted rapist found guilty in a court of law, I wouldn't miss them.

You show the utmost ignorance of how Megan's law works. The law works to inform concerned parents that there's a convicted sex offender in their neighborhood; regardless of where their last crime was committed or what their hometown is.

Where did I condone this?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

That's true. Parole/probation is a joke. There's really very little monitoring going on. Most of the time you show up every other month, maybe #### in a cup, and maybe attend some 12 step meetings... that's not really a substitute for a vigilant parent!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

First off, parents should be more concerned about frienRAB and family members than the near mythical "predator" paedophile. The vast majority of abusers are family members, and most of the rest are well known to the victim. The number of stranger abuse cases is tiny. Additionally, it wouldn't be hard for known abusers to simply travel outside the area to commit offences where parents are given a false sense of security by the law. Finally if your parole system doesn't work well, fix it! Don't allow mob rule as a substitute for effective policing.

In the UK when people have been identified as paedophiles (often incorrectly) we've had serious vigilantism problems and effectively lynch mobs roaming the streets. This sort of law fuels paranoia and makes children's lives worse, not better.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

I disagree. Suffering enRAB at death.

I just think they should change the punishments so that sex offender are sentenced by a court of law (italicized for Jo Bennett) to have to enter a room filled with the victim's frienRAB and family members before the prison sentence. There will be no metal detectors in the building with the room, so family members will be able to sneak in knives, sledge hammers, or whatever else they want.

Whatever happens, happens.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

WOW, those are some hardcore lyrics

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

You have to read Bennett's posts before you respond to me. Jo Bennett makes it sound like a typical American parent will form an angry mob and kill innocent people whenever their child is molested. That's simply not true.

At least watch and see I said. This is because Jo Bennett is a pacifist.

Likely, but for a second, Jo made it sound like you're paranoid if you react.

Well here's one of Cannibal Corpses... er, sexier songs. These would probably make a good punishment for sex offenders.

Just imagine the guy in the song is a sex offender.

Blunt Force Castration
    The Wretched Spawn (2004)

If it's legal, I advocate it. If not, I "didn't see anything."

Just so you know, the lyrics aren't 100% accurate in that page.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

[QUOTE]

Yes, parents should be concerned becasue most attacks are by family members. Most, but not all. I think there's some flaws in your logic though. First, if predators are that rare, why are we even debating this? Furthermore, once a person gets caught messing with a friend/family member's kid, they're probably going to move away (after they get out of jail). If they don't move away, its likely news of their deeRAB will get around. If they do move away, the next kid they go after is not likely to be a family member, thus the need for some warning system.

I'm sure that's a great consellation to the 'tiny' victims of stranger rape...

The data base is but ONE tool in the parent's child safety kit, of course it won't prevent ALL child rapes. But even if just a few are prevented, isn't that a good thing?. Additionally, most parolees have conditions of not traveling outside a given area as well as staying away from certain places (schools, etc...). If they're caught outside their allotted area they can be put back in jail. I don't think parents will get fall asleep on the job just because they know the predators within their neighborhood.

That's why we're hashing it out right now. Isn' it?

[QUOTE]

If there's a problem with your citizens following the laws...fix i!

Yes, teaching kiRAB that there are bad guys out there and who to stay away from is probably worse than them being assaulted by a perv!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Megan's Law

Ok. A predator paedophile with the same name as you moves into your neighborhood. Whats the likelyhood of you being attacked?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information