Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What should America's State Religion Be?

The Bible can be read in different ways that give people different conclusions about how to be a Christian.

On a side note, I noticed that some people picked "Arian" and "Coptic". Care to share the reasoning behind those choices?

>>BOb<<

When exactly did the US need Europeans to die on its shores defending it from Facism or Communism? Hm?

You can't blame someone for not being there when they weren't needed.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty poor. I'm trying to figure out which sect of Christians provided the values on which the USA was founded. Hence the list of sects to choose from in the poll.

Sorry, couldn't help but reference this...

It is, at least in Latin or some other language.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's because you're an idiot. Most pagans I know believe in a number of GoRAB, though revere one or two in particular.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think some people are of the opinion that we should not have a state "religion" as long as the state god is "The father, the son, and the holy spirit." They do not seem to be able to wrap their head around the idea that the state endorsing their version of diety is the same thing as endorsing a religion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No they didn't. They started none of the sessions with a prayer of any sort. After several weeks Benjamin Franklin (of all people) moved to begin sessions with a prayer. There was some discussion and Alexander Hamilton suggested that it would have been more appropriate to make such a motion when the convention began. The session was adjourned and the topic never came up again.
    Actually, that's not true either. Washington used to go to church but always left just before the communion service. The pastor, the Reverend Doctor James Abercrombie, mentioned to Washington that it gave bad example for Washington to leave during the service, so Washington stopped going to church.

When Dr. Abercrombie was asked by the Rev. Bird Wilson about Washington's religious beliefs. Abercrombie responded, "Sir, Washington was a Deist." Abercrombie was in a position to know, being his friend as well as his pastor.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The bible is open to a great deal of interpretation, though I fully admit that I don't succeed in following the Bible the whole time, something which is true for pretty much every Christian that ever lived, though some have come closer than others. To be a Christian to me means primarily to believe that Jesus is Lord, and to trust in the salvation he has given us. We should follow his commanRAB, but God forgives us when we fall short, it is faith, hope and love that makes us Christian. I don't pick and choose what to follow from the Bible, but I do believe that the ultimate authority is God, not the flawed recorRAB of his work created by man. The living word, Jesus, is what is important, if the writings of men contradict the living word, then I'm going with the living word, every time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

*chimes in without having read the thread*

State religion? America should ideally, like all other states, have a religion of secular humanism.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

On the subject of divorce, Henry VIII's remarriage would not be permitted by the modern Anglican church, even under the new guidelines recently adopted, as his second wife was involved in the breakup of his first marriage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information